This delicious cottage cheese kugel.. has the interesting addition of rice in the filling.
I have another recipe very similar posted here, Dasha’s Cottage Cheese Pie, which was our favorite, but now… we like this one too. It is less sweet the Dasha’s recipe.
Basically, there is a batter on the bottom which bakes up like a cake, a cheese & rice filling, then more batter on top. This recipe was in my mom’s recipe box, I do not remember it but I am sure glad that I discovered it. I baked it, cut it into squares & froze it so we have a handy lunch or dinner ready!
Here is the recipe
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 c milk
1 1/4 cup flour
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 Tbsp sugar
2 cups of cottage cheese
1/2 cup MInute Rice
Preheat oven to 350f
Spray a 9 x 9 square baking dish
- I used my food processor to mix the batter. Put the butter, sugar, milk & flour into the bowl of your food processor & mix until well blended. If you do not have a food processor you can use your mixer or if your butter is soft this is easy to mix by hand. Once mixed set aside
- Combine the filling ingredients, mixing well, set aside
- Put 1/2 of the batter evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish
- Now, spread the filling evenly over the batter
- Put the balance of the batter over the cheese mixture. I usually dollop batter all over, close to each other then use an offset spatula, knife or back of a spoon to even the batter our
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour until brown