My friend Rhonda told me about this recipe.. it is delicious, full of flavour!!
I have adapted a recipe from Food and Whine… Wicked Thai Soup
The original recipe had cream in it, which I omitted… & had rice in it, which I also omitted. We wanted to eat this soup with a thin rice noodle! Also, I cooked it in the Instant Pot! If you don’t have an Instant Pot, cook this on the stove in a large soup pot!
Here is an affiliate link to the Instant to I use! Mine is older but this looks very similar
I was very happy with the results… my changes worked so that was great !!!
Soup isn’t my favourite summer food but it was raining so much that we just needed a tasty soup!
Here is my adapted recipe, i doubled the original recipe as well…
2 tbsp oil
1 med onion, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
3 cups mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
2 chicken breasts , cut into cubes..the size depends on how big you want your chicken pieces to be in your soup!
4 tbsp Lemon Grass Stir In Paste
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 tsp red curry paste
2 -3 tsp Sambal Oelek chili paste or Sriracha
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 can ( 400 ml) coconut milk
8 cups of chicken stock or veg broth if you don’t have any chicken stock
2 tbsp cornstarch with about 4 tbsp of the soup broth or water
For serving……Cooked thin rice noodles … quantity is up to you … to serve with the soup or alternately you can have some cooked rice to add to the soup before serving… we liked the noodles
Chopped basil orcilantro leaves if you like *** I used basil
Instant Pot & Soup Pot on the Stove Top
- Turn your Instant Pot on to the sauté function. add the oil & the chopped onion, diced red pepper & sliced mushrooms… stirring often, cook until the vegetables are soft & the mushrooms have shrunk in size, approx 5-6 minutes… if using a soup pot on the stove do the same…
- Add the cubed chicken to the Instant Pot/ Soup Pot, mix well & cook stirring often for another 6 minutes until the chicken is almost cooked through
- Now, add the Lemon Grass paste, Worcestershire sauce, the coconut milk, red curry paste, chili paste & tomato paste. Mix well
- Add the coconut milk & chicken stock, mix well
- If you are using the Instant Pot, put the lid on & set the time to Soup 15 minutes & I let it release naturally
- if using a soup pot, cook the soup, on a medium simmer, for about 30 minutes… you want all of the flavours to combine well & that they are all cooked …so if it needs more cooking time let it simmer
- When the soup is finished cooking & the pressure has released from the Instant Pot, take the lid off carefully
- Taste the soup & adjust seasoning… note there is no added salt to this soup because the broth might be salty enough!
- Now you will add the corn starch mixture… mix the 2 tbsp corn starch with about 4 tbsp of the soup broth or water to make a slurry..
- Turn the Instant Pot on to saute …& your soup in the pot should still be simmering…. add the cornstarch mixture & stir.
- Continue cooking until the soup thickens up .. it doesn’t get really thick… but a bit thicker…stir often
Serve this soup with the cooked rice noodles or cooked rice
You can garnish it with some chopped cilantro leaves if you want!