Found this recipe on line… this is a different vegetable kugel..
The author tf the recipe is Amy Kritzer.. & it was on the website whatjewswannaeat.com
This is very tasty. The recipe calls for matzo meal but if you don’t celebrate Passover or want to make it another time of year …use bread crumbs.
I like this because it was different then the usual veg kugels I have made in the past.. I still like those & made a broccoli kugel this year… this one seems to be a bit more ‘current’ with caramelized leeks, zucchini, sweet potato & russet potato…. you will see all of the ingredients!
I did not have the correct size pan to bake this in but you will see what I did in the picture!!! It worked out just fine!
Here is the recipe
1 tbsp oil to sauté the leeks in
2 large leeks sliced in rounds
1 large russet potato, peeled
1 large sweet potato, peeled
2 zucchini , ( I only had one..) do not peel but wash it!!!
1 med onion
3 garlic cloves…I used 2
3 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup oil
3 tbsp matzo meal or bread crumbs if not making this for Passover
1/2 tsp pepper
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease a 9 x9 baking dish
- Using a skillet, sauté the leeks & 14 tsp salt in 1 tbsp of oil until they are slightly browned, set aside
- Shred the russet potato, sweet potato, zucchini, onion & garlic cloves. I used my food processor.
- Now you want to remove the liquid from the vegetables, so I lined a bowl with a tea towel, dumped all fo the shredded vegetables in the towel, wrapped them up & squeezed out the liquid over the bowl, This is important so that the kugel won’t be watery
- Remove the towel from the vegetables!!
- Combine the leeks, eggs, 1/4 cup of oil, matzo meal, salt & pepper with eh shredded vegetables. Mix well
- Put the mixture evenly into the baking dish, smooth out the top
- Bake for about 45 minutes until the kugel is cooked & brown
- Cool slightly before cutting into squares
- I froze this once it was cool & cut into squares. I will reheat it covered