Do not judge me!! Growing up I don’t think I knew there was any other cheese in the world except Velveeta & Kraft slices! There were a few other foods too that I thought was the only kind…like there was only head lettuce & green peppers.
My mom was a good cook & a modern woman so using the convience foods was the thing to do! The one food we didn’t have was Chez Whiz… who knows why… she was a lover of Velveeta…we used it in grilled cheese sandwiches & macaroni
I am pretty sure some people would be ‘put off’ by the thought of using Velveeta..but it is really delicious & on occasion I love it. I make mac & cheese with cheddar & sometimes other cheeses but I love this way so once in a while I make Velveeta Mac & Cheese… & I like to serve it with tuna mixed with mayo on the side :))
I have changed the way I make this dish… my mom used to cook the macaroni, cut the Velveeta into chunks & mix it into the hot macaroni…then she baked it…but there was lots of plain macaroni & then these melty chunks of the cheese…I didn’t like that. I melt the Velveeta with milk, mix it all together then it can be eaten ‘soft’ or baked. I like it baked & most of my family like it soft
You’ll see that I have added sugar to this.. I love the hint of sweetness..it isn’t too much….you can leave it out if you want but I wouldn’t!
Here is the recipe
1 500g box of macaroni
1 450 g of Velveeta
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp sugar ( or more to taste!)
2 tbsp oil or butter to grease the baking dish
- Cook the macaroni according to the pkg instructions, then drain & return to the pot, you will mix the macaroni & other ingredients in the pot…saves on cleanup!
- I use a 4 cup measure but you can use a microwave safe bowl…
- Cut he Velvetta into chunks & put into the measuring cup or bowl
- Add the milk
- Microwave until the Velvetta is mostly melted, watching carefully so that it does not burn. The time it takes to melt depends on how big the chunks are that you cut it in
- Stir the Velveeta to incorporate the milk until it is completely smooth & there are not any chunks of cheese
- Add the cheese mixture to the cooked & drained macaroni
- Add the sugar & some pepper
- Mix well
- Now this is finished & is the ‘soft’ macaroni my kids like
- If you want to bake it, put the oil or butter into a casserole dish, I use a 9 x 7 pyrex pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350f & while the oven is heating up, pop the baking dish in the oven to heat up the oil or melt the butter. Take the pan out of the oven when it is hot & using your oven gloves to hold teh pan, spread the oil all over the bottom. Now, very carefully since the dish is hot, put the mac & cheese into the baking dish
- Put into the preheated oven & bake for 1 hour or until it is brown