I have fallen in ‘love’ with Nik Sharma’s recipes …he has a food blog called A Brown Table
I was also given his cookbook, Seasons, as a gift!
I like to look around on the blog & try some of the recipes.
I have posted one recipe, South Indian Chickenwhich is very delicious
Tandoori Chicken has dairy in it, & since I keep a kosher kitchen I had to figure out a way to adapt the recipe! I actually contacted Nik & discussed it with him, he was great..got back to me right away. I used vegan coconut yogurt in place of the diary yogurt…Also, Nik used beets for the red colour but I did not have any so my chicken was not the traditional red of tandoori chicken. Here is a link to the recipe on Nik’s blog..homemade tandoori chicken – Nik Sharma
I served this chicken with basmati rice & veg
My chicken was very tasty…
Here is my very changed version of that recipe…
6 lbs boneless chicken breasts
2 cups vegan coconut yogurt
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup finely diced red onion
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled & finely diced
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp turmeric powder
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp paprika
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp kosher salt
- Put the chicken into a large enough container that you can marinade the chicken in
- Mix the yogurt, lemon juice, red onion, garlic cloves, ginger, cardamon, cumin, turmeric, coriander, black pepper, paprika, cloves, red pepper flakes & salt together in a bowl. Use a hand blender to blend all of this together. Alternately, you can put these ingredients into a blender or food processor to mix it together
- Pour the liquid mixture all over the chicken, making sure that each piece of chicken has some marinade on it
- Cover & refrigerate & marinade for …the recipe says 6 hours or maximum overnight
- *** if this is too much chicken for one time for you, Nik divided the chicken in 2 & froze half of the uncooked chicken to cook another time. I cooked all of the chicken, then froze the leftovers
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, I just put all of the chicken pieces into a large roasting pan, with all of the marinade.. I just dumped the contents of the container into the pan!
- Roast the chicken at 375f until it is completely cooked & nice & brown!!
- You can turn the chicken over to crisp up the underside if you want..then I always turn the chicken pieces back to the first side to finish it off