I have so many recipes for Passover & I usually make the same ones each year. This year I am going to try some different ones. This potato kugel recipe has grated carrot in it!
I have had a booklet from the Manishewitz company for over 30 years. it is yellowed & a bit ripped around the edges. Every year I look through it & put it aside not cooking anything from it. When I was getting ready to make a potato kugel, I remembered there was one in the booklet. it is called EASY ‘GRATED’ POTATO KUGEL. I think the booklet is so old the instructions say to put the vegetables trough a meat grinder..not a food processor. Many years ago I had my mom’s old meat grinder, which sadly I gave away..now I wish I had it for many reasons…but lets move on from that! I used my food processor for the vegetables & of course it worked beautifully.
Here is the recipe from Manischewitz
NOTE: I found the kugel really mushy inside but very tasty. If you do not like a mushy kugel then I would use only 1 carrot & a bit less oil. I did not mind it mushy & it will dry up a bit when reheated…but I love kugel any way so it is ok with me!
2 1/2 pounds potatoes, about 6
1 large onion
1 large carrot…I added 2..not sure why
1/4 cup matzo meal
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 eggs beaten
1/4 cup oil
Preheat oven to 375f
9 x 13 baking dish
This made a rather flat kugel because the potatoes cooked down quite a bit. I used a new type of potato I found at costco…use whatever potato you like…if you don’t know what to use, I usually use red potatoes
- I did not peel the potatoes just washed them really well. IF you want to peel them go ahead!
- Grate the potatoes, the onion & the carrot (s) in your food processor with the grater blade. Put the grated vegetables into a large bowl
- Add matzo meal, salt, pepper, eggs & oil to the grated vegetables. Mix well
- Grease the baking dish with some oil
- Put the baking dish into the oven to heat up for about 5. Remove the hot pan from the oven carefully, you don’t want to get that hot oil on yourself! Put the dish onto the stove so you can fill it with the potato mixture
- Very carefully, pour the potato mixture into the hot baking dish
- Return to the hot oven
- Bake for about 1 hour until it is brown & crispy!
- Remove from the oven & let it cool, Then cut it into serving pieces..any size you want
- If you want to freeze this, cut it now. let it cool then cover & freeze. I usually remove the kugel pieces from the baking dish & put them into an aluminum pan, cover with foil & freeze. Then, I take the kugel out of the freezer the morning I want to serve it, put it in the fridge. Then warm it in the oven. You can freeze the cut pieces in a ziplock bag instead, remove them & warm them on a cookie sheet…