We went to spend some time with my sister & brother-in-law in Palm Springs & my sister made this Oven French Toast for us & some other guests! It is really simple to prepare & so delicious.
The recipe is from KosherEye.com. Baked French Toast with Praline Topping.… my sister was inspired by this recipe & changed it up a bit, so I am going to give you the recipe the way my sister made it! It is pretty much the same, just a few things are tweaked to her liking.
You assemble this the night before you want to serve it, then an hour before you want to eat, pop it into a pre-heated oven, & bake it. This puffs up so much!!! Oh, & a note…it spilled over a bit in the oven so be prepared for that or put a lined cookie sheet underneath the baking dish maybe to catch the drips..?
Here is the recipe
9 thick slices of Challah *** slice the bread about 1 ” thick
2 cups of half & half cream
1 cup milk
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
Topping – you are going to use this the next morning before baking this dish
2 cups of praline pecan halves
1 cup of butter
Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with butter…put some butter onto a piece of paper towel & rub it on the bottom & sides of the baking dish
- Put the cut challah slices in a single layer into the bottom & they can go up the sides a bit… you will see in the picture my sister added a piece that is sitting on top of some…there was a space underneath that she wanted to fill, set this aside
- Beat the eggs in a bowl
- Add the half & half, milk, sugar, vanilla & cinnamon to the eggs & whisk it all together.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the baking dish making sure to cover all of the bread
- Cover this & put it into the fridge overnight
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 350f
- Take the baking dish out of the fridge, uncover & now you will put the pralines on top
- You can chop the pralines …they stay on a bit better if they are chopped up a bit, but if you like them in half…leave them that way
- Melt the butter
- Pour the butter over the nuts & mix well
- Put the butter/praline mixture all over the soaked bread
- Now, put this in the oven & bake for 50-60 minutes…*** note that it can spill over into the oven a bit so you can cover a baking sheet & bake this on one to save cleanup…keep your eye on it..you will see how it is puffed up …so delish…It is done when the bread is brown & crispyish… you will be able to tell
- Take it out of the oven & let it sit for a bit before serving
Serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit. whipped cream…whatever you like! I like it with maple syrup!!!