This fudge recipe is delicious. it is from Chatelaine Magazine…just a few ingredients & quick to m
I made this fudge & really like it, but I did have a problem with the caramel. I used Kraft caramels, thinking that they would be fine but the caramel was too hard after the fudge was done…& too chewy….& slipped off the fudge!!! The recipe says to use Werther’s soft caramels, so my recommendation is to use those…I imagine that Chatelaine is reliable & knows that those caramels will work! Next time I make this fudge I will try the Werther’s…
I took this fudge to a peroghy making day … the first time I went to this perogy day was last year… here is the link to that post…Peroghy…Pirogi…Pierogi anyway you spell it, they are delicious…I took fudge last year & again this year… last year I took..Chocolate Walnut Marshmallow Fudge.
This recipe is simple & tasty…. but use the suggested caramels !!!
3 cups bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups toasted pecans, coarsely chopped & divided into 1 cup & 1/2 cup ….PLEASE NOTE …YOU CAN LEAVE OUT THE NUTS IF YOU HAVE AN ALLERGY OR JUST DO NOT WANT NUTS IN YOUR FUDGE!
300g chewy caramels, unwrapped…Here Chatelaine recommends Werther;s
1 tbsp cream
1/4 tsp flaked sea salt… I didn’t have any so I used coarse Kosher salt
8 x 8 baking pan
- Line the baking pan with plastic wrap, letting it hang over the edges a bit so you can remoe the fudge easily from the pan to cut it
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate with the condensed milk. Microwave, uncovered on meduim until the chocolate is melted. Stir halfway through. This will take about 2 to 3 minutes…so I set the timer to 1.5 minutes & then stirred the chcolate, put it back in
- Take it out of the microwave & mix it until all of the chcolate is melted
- Fold in 1 cup of roasted chopped pecans.
- Put the fudge evenly into the prepared pan. Press it down…I put a piece of some plasstic wrap overtop of the fudge to press it down, then you can leave the fudge covered with this plastic wrap Set this aside
- Put the unwrapped caramels & cream into a saucepan and cook over meduim heat, stirring often until the caramels are just melted & smotthe…maybe around 7 minutes… Set aside to cool slightly….
- Uncover the fudge & spread the carmel over the fudge right to the edges.
- Sprinle with the remainign 1/2 cup of chopped pecans & sprinkle with the salt.
- Cover with plastic wrap
- Put this in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight
- Cut into squares…
- The recipe says this will keep for up to a week in the fridge….