Simple & delicious, this potato salad is just good! I make it at least a couple of times during the summer. As with almost every food, there are many recipes for potato salad but when I want a side dish that compliments the rest of the meal without overshadowing it with too strong a flavour, I make my potato salad this way!
You can add & subtract ingredients to your taste. My sister adds cut-up pickles. Sometimes I like to add radishes, but Murray has to pick them out since he doesn’t like them..so I do not add them too often!! My mom used to add green pepper & dill. So really you can use this recipe as a ‘base’ & customize it!
Here is the recipe
*** This recipe makes a lot of potato salad. I made it for a dinner party & had 2 other salads & lots of food, so there was quite a lot of potato salad leftover..so adjust the quantities to the # of servings you want. This made about 15 servings….a serving is a big serving spoon full!
3 lb potato *** I used mini potatoes & did not peel them
2 stalks celery, cut in thin slices
1/4 cup chives *** if you do not have chives, you can use green onions
3/4 cup real mayonnaise
1 1/2 – 2 tsp salt or to taste
pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes. It is your choice to peel them or not. When I am using big potatoes I peel them, but this time I used mini potatoes & did not peel them. I cut large potatoes into quarters to boil, the mini ones I leave whole
- While your potatoes are boiling, boil up the eggs. When done, remove them from the heat & let them cool. *** if I don’t have a lot of time before I want to use the eggs, I put the hot boiled eggs into some cold water to cool them enough to handle them when I want to peel them
- When the potatoes are boiled to a soft texture, drain them & let the potatoes cool
- Get a big bowl ready, big enough that you will be able to mix all of the ingredients together without everything falling out of the bowl!
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into pieces… I don’t like them cut too small so I quarter the mini potatoes. Put them into the bowl
- Add the cut celery
- Peel the eggs & make sure there isn’t any shell left on them, I do not like biting into food & finding egg shell……so I always rinse the egg after I peel it, then dry it off with a towel.
- Cut the eggs into pieces…Add the eggs to the potato & celery in the bowl
- Add the chives to the bowl
- Add the mayo
- Season with salt & pepper. Taste & adjust the seasoning to your taste
- Mix well
- I like to garnish the potato salad with chopped chives when serving
- Once mixed together you can put it into a smaller container & store in the fridge
***I never leave the potato salad our of the fridge for more than 2 hours if you are serving it as part of a buffet. And if my potato salad gets warm sitting out I do not keep it