This is absolutely one of our favorite marinades for chicken pieces when we are going to BBQ chicken. We BBQ chicken a lot in the summer & I like a BBQ sauce on the chicken but sometimes, I just want to switch it up a bit!
The recipe is a simple one with only a few ingredients yet gives chicken a lovely flavour. You can marinade your chicken pieces overnight or for at least 30 minutes..if you are going to put this together just before dinner, let the chicken marinade while you are getting your other dinner food ready then put the chicken on the grill… MARINADE THE CHICKEN IN THE REFRIGERATOR
It takes a while for chicken to throughly cook on the BBQ so make sure you have enough time before you want to eat…. & you have to watch it!
If you want to use your microwave as well as the BBQ,,,,you can take the chicken out of the marinade, put the pieces in a microwave safe baking dish, microwave the pieces for about 6 minutes & then finish them on the BBQ….
Murray put one side of the BBQ on to warm up. Once I removed the chicken pieces from the marinade, DISCARD THE MARINADE…. I seared the pieces then moved them over to the unlit side of the BBQ to cook through. You can turn the BBQ down if it is too hot… I kept checking the chicken & turned it over so that it would be evenly cooked. Unfortunalty…I got side tracked & overcooked the chicken so some of it was burnt…but ….we just took off the burnt part & enjoyed the rest! I served this chicken with some roasted broccoli & cauliflower that I put some oil, salt & some sweet Thai chili sauce on …which was delish & a couple egg rolls I found in the freezer.
NOTE: I HAVE THE COOLEST THING.. it is a baggy rack… it is basically a stand that you use to hold up your plastic bags… you place the bag into the arms of this & you can adjust the height of the arms to accommodate any size baggy you have. It works great Here is a link to it on Amazon if you want to have a look or order it … I found mine in a kitchen store in Edmonton. I use it a lot!!
Here is the recipe
THIS MARINADE IS ENOUGH FOR ONE CUT UP CHICKEN…ABOUT 3 LBS…USE WHATEVER TYPE OF CHICKEN PIECES YOUR PREFER
(Recipe is from my mother-in-law…. I do not know it’s origin)
1/2 cup soya sauce
1/2 cup water
4 green onions, chopped just use the whites & the light green part
2 tbsp sesame seeds…..this is optional if you have an allergy!!!
2 tbsp sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp pepper
- Combine of the ingredients together in a bowl or measuring cup
- I put the chicken pieces into a zip loc bag & used the baggy rack to hold up the bag…. see link above to this cool kitchen tool. You can marinade the chicken in any container you want, just the move the chciken around occasionally so that each piece gets marinated.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces, seal the bag & make sure the marinade gets all over each piece of chicken by moving the chicken pieces around in the bag. Marinade at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to BBQ the chicken pieces, take the chicken out of the bag & DISCARD THE MARINADE
- BBQ the chicken making sure the chicken is cooked throughly