I have had this recipe for a very long time. Perhaps over 30 years. It is just written on a small piece of paper so who knows where I got the recipe from!
Sometimes I just crave this sweet dense vanilla cake with the delicious crispy coconut topping.
The cake bakes for 30 minutes so it is a quick recipe to make when you might need cake NOW!
Quick to put together and bakes in a square pan so it makes just enough.
Here is the recipe
Lazy Dazy Cake
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
5 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp milk
1 cup shredded coconut *** I used sweetened coconut which was in my pantry
Preheat oven to 350F
Grease a square pan 8×8
- In a small saucepan heat the milk and butter to just about boiling, stir.
Remove the pot from the heat & set aside
- Mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla together until smooth
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, whisking to combine
- Mix the flour mixture with the egg mixture together
- Add the hot milk/butter to the batter, mixing well to combine throughly
- Pour the batter into the prepared 8×8 cake pan
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the cake is baked throughly
- While the cake is baking, combine the ingredients for the topping and set aside
- When the cake is baked, take it out of the oven. Spread the topping evenly over the hot cake
- Broil topping until browned and the sugar is melted , approximately 3 minutes *** the pan should be about 4 inches away from the broiler ***WATCH VERY CLOSELY AS THIS CAN BURN QUICKLY
- Cool cake completely on a wire rack before digging in!