It is a sure sign of fall when the stores get Prune Plums on the shelves! I could not resist buying the large container of them at my local Costco last week, but really, Murray & I can not eat all of those ourselves so it is time to make Plum Cakes. I have two delicious recipes on this site so I am going to share them both with you & then I am going to get baking! Let me know if you try wither of these & what you think in the comments!Continue reading “Ah…Prune Plums”
Fall is the perfect time for desserts made with Apples & also Prune Plums which are available in the stores now! The recipes in this post are
Apple Cinnamon Twist, Apple Rum Cake, Apple Crisp, Apple Coffee Cake, Apple Cake- Smitten Kitchen Apple Sharlotka, Phyllo Pastry Apple Strudel, Plum Cake #1 & Plum Cake #2 ( my fav!)Continue reading “Here are the Dessert recipes I told you I would post!”
This recipe for a Glazed Purple Plum Cake is delicious & a great way to use the Purple Prune Plums that are ine grocery stores now!Continue reading “Glazed Purple Plum Cake”
Prune Plum Cake ,,,Fall is the time for Prune Plums. These are my favourite plums actually so even though seeing them means the end of summer, I am always happy when they are on the store shelves.
Smitten Kitchen posted this recipe, Purple Plum Torte, The recipe that Smitten Kitchen posted was made with butter, but I wanted it to be parve, non-dairy, so I substituted the butter with oil. I loved the texture of the cake using the oil, so I am going to make it this way always!
The cake has plums on top of the batter & they sink into the cake as it bakes. This cake is made in a spring form pan but if you do not have one use an equivalent size baking pan & make sure you grease it well so that the cake will come out easily when cut.
Here is the recipe thanks to Smitten Kitchen for posting it…I changed 1 thing only so I have the recipe here with the changes I made
For the cake
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
6 tbsp oil
2 large eggs
For the topping
12 purple plums
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp sugar
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease a 9 inch springform pan within-stick spray
You can easily mix this cake by hand, using oil instead of butter makes this easy!
- Whisk the flour, baking powder & salt together in a bowl
- In a different bowl, whisk sugar & oil together
- Add the eggs to the sugar/oil mixture & mix well until smooth & well combined
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones & using a spoon, mix well
- Cut the plums in half & remove the pit
- Put the cut plums cut side down on top of the batter…cover the top
- Sprinkle the lemon juice over the plums
- Mix the siccamon & the sugar together & sprinkle over the plums
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for for approximatley 45 minutes..
- Cool the cake in the springform pan on a rack, if you have made this in a cake pan, you can let it cool for about 15 minutes the remove & finish cooling on the cooling rack.
- Remove the ring of the sjpringform pan to serve…
- When the cake was cool I dusted the top of the cake with some icing sugar…