I saw this recipe on The Nosher and made it for dinner last night. I made a few changes: I didn’t have split peas so I used chick peas, I used chicken breasts instead of a whole cut-up chicken and added spinach at the end to just wilt it.This was very tasty . The curry flavour is mild and so is the coconut milk. Made all in one pan so clean up is easy. I have a link to the original recipe at the bottom of this in case you want to use that recipe
Here is the recipe with the changes I made
Chicken Breasts in a Coconut Curry Sauce
1 can coconut milk, divided in half
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic *** I used garlic flowers from a jat..but I would use fresh garlic if I had some!
1 tbsp minced ginger ***I used organic ginger pre-minced form a jar
salt and pepper
4 boneless chicken breasts, cut in half
1/2 cup water
1 large tomato, diced
3/4 cup canned chick peas *** you could add the whole can if you’d like. I reserved the rest of the can to make hummus
4 cups fresh spinach, washed & dried
oil for sauteing the chicken
Cooked Rice to serve with the curry
- In a bowl, mix together 1/2 of the jar coconut milk with the curry powder, cumin, turmeric, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper ***reserve the second half of the can, you will need it later in this recipe
- Put the cut chicken breasts into the coconut milk mixture and let marinade for about 30 minutes *** the original recipe says to let marinade for a few hours or overnight but I did not have that much time!
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, or saucepan big enough that the chicken can lay flat in the bottom. Take the chicken out of the marinade and let the excess drip off (reserve the marinade) and brown the chicken. Turn over when the first side is done and brown the second side
- Mix the reserved coconut milk and the water together.
- Add the reserved marinade to the frying pan, the coconut milk and water,tomato and chickpeas. Salt & pepper to taste Mix it well
- Cover the pot and simmer on medium for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove the chicken breasts to a plate, and shred
- Put the shredded chicken back into the pan and mix well so that all the chicken is coated with the sauce, Continue cooking on a low temperature until the sauce reduces a bit and the chicken is completely cooked ..about 15 minures….
- Add the spinach, mix it around to let it wilt
- Serve over rice or quinoa
Here is the link to the original recipe on The Nosher