Supper can be easy & delicious! Vegan too!
No Idea what to make for dinner ? Me either ! I thought about tuna sandwiches .. no.. bbq hotdogs ? Well maybe but no .. and then I remembered a dinner Jacki had the other night but I didn’t really know how they made it but I figured it out
This is easy to adjust the ingredients . no butternut squash? Any squash will do or sweet potatoes .. no peas? Add any green .. frozen spinach or Kate .. the only thing about spinach is you have to cook it and drain it before adding it to the sauce as it will water it down!
I always like to have bags of frozen vegetables in the house. My usual stock in the freezer is a bag of chopped kale, chopped spinach, chopped butternut squash, broccoli, peas & avocado! Then sometimes I have a bag of mixed vegetables, nibblet corn, cauliflower. Presidents Choice has some great frozen vegetable medleys… peppers & onions which are great for any Mexican style food, easy for burritos, asian veg mixtures for stirfrys. I find that I do not always eat the fresh vegetables quick enough & frozen ones are much handier for me!
I sprinkled on a few dried red chillies to make it spicier for Murray but I did not for myself! Option is yours!
Here is the recipe
2 tbsp oil
1 medium or 1/2 large onion , finely chopped
1-2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp ginger powder or to taste
1 tbsp curry powder or to taste
1 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
1 cup red lentils
1 cup frozen peas
3 cups frozen and cooked butternut squash ( I microwaved the butternut according to the pot instructions)
1 can drained chick peas, drained & rinsed
1 can coconut milk
1 Tbsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan & sauté the chopped onions for about 5-7 minutes on medium high heat, stir often to avoid sticking, You want the onions to be translucent but not browned
- Add the garlic powder, ginger powder, curry powder. Stir
- Star in the water/vegetable broth & red lentils. Simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Add the frozen peas, cooked butternut squash & the can of drained chickpeas. Stir & simmer for 10 minutes or so
- Add the coconut milk & sugar, salt & pepper to taste
- Mix & simmer for about 20 minutes or until it starts to thicken up. I had mine on low on the stove for over 45 min until we were ready to eat it!
- This is quite saucy which is delicious! Serve over rice or with some bread to soak up the delicious sauce!
Check out my updated SHOP page! There are affiliate links on this page so if you purchase something from a link, I may receive a small commission