That just about says it all…I love bran muffins.
I found a recipe for Bran Muffins from Chatelaine magazine, I
The recipe called for buttermilk, I never have buttermilk in the fridge…I did have some buttermilk powder that you see in the picture below but as it turned out..it was outdated so I tossed it & added some vinegar to the milk to sour it. Otherwise I had all the ingredients I needed for this recipe. . The only ingredient that I think most people would not have on hand would be the wheat bran & maybe molasses..I had the wheat bran for the Cape Seed Bread ,,, you could pick up a box next time you are out shopping then you can have some on hand.. ready to make these Bran Muffins or the Cape Seed bread, but for that recipe you need other ingredients so have a look & check out the ingredient list. That bread is sooo good!
I also had some big white paper muffin cups that I have had forever…so I used those…but they are big & the recipe was for 12 muffins, but I got 8… which is fine with me…a big delicious Bran Muffin is delish!
Here is the recipe
1 1/4 cups buttermilk.***I added 1 capful of vinegar to the 1 1/4 cup regular milk & stirred
1 1/2 cup wheat bran
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup canola oil *** I am sure you can use any oil here..grape seed, olive oil…
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp molasses
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup raisins *** I did not have enough raisins so I cut up some dates to make 3/4 cup total…yum!
Preheat oven to 375f
Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper muffin cups or grease each muffin cup if you don’t want to use paper
- If you have to make the sour milk, add the vinegar to your milk & let sit for a few minutes
- In a large bowl, mix the buttermilk, wheat bran, baking soda together. Mix well & let this sit for 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk the oil, brown sugar, molasses & egg together & set aside
- Whisk the flour, baking powder & salt together in a third bowl
- After the bran has sat for the 10 minutes, stir in the raisins/dates into the milk mixture
- Add the flour mixture, mix well until there is no visible flour
- Mix in the liquid ingredients
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups
- Bake in the preheated oven approx 15-20 minutes
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan then move them to a cooling rack to cool completely
You must log in to post a comment.