So quick & easy, Edna’s Cherry Square is a delicious dessert you can make which is sure to become a favourite!
We had wonderful friends who lived in a pretty small town in Northern Alberta, Jack & Edna Bondar. Sadly both have passed away but I have the fondest memories of both of them. Edna was an inspiration to me when I was a young woman. She made bread (way before I would ever have thought to make bread!), she sewed, was a good cook & did many other things… had a busy life rich with family, friends & her community.
Murray & I would go visit Jack & Edna before we had our children.when we had our family & after our kids moved away. I could share so many memories but i won’t! I will share Edna with you through a couple of her recipes.
This one, Edna’s Cherry Square, was always a favourite of mine. She would make it when we went to visit.I had forgotten about this delicious dessert but when I was going through my book of recipes looking for something to make I saw this. Written down as she told it to me so it was a bit unclear. I figured out what to do!
The recipe can be made with a mixer or by hand. I made it by hand so I had to soften the butter in the microwave! This was so easy to prepare!
It tasted exactly as I remember it!
Here is the recipe
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 can cherry pie filling
Icing sugar to sprinkle over the baked & cooled Cherry Square
Preheat the oven to 375f
grease a 9 x13 baking dish , I used non-stick spray
- Mix the Butter & sugar together until combined
- Add the 2 eggs. beat them in
- next, add the vanilla
- Stir in the flour & walnuts, mix really well making sue everything is moist & well combined
- Spread 3/4 of the batter into the prepared baking dish
- The pie filling is spread evenly over the batter
- Drop the remaining batter by teaspoons over the pie filling
- Bake in the preheated oven for approx 45 minutes
- Let cool & then you can dust the top with icing sugar if you want!!
Cut into squares to serve & dist with icing sugar!