This was very easy to make & turned out really well!
I used 3 small eggplants that I bought in a bag at Costco but this recipe can be adapted easily …use this recipe as a guide to adjusting the ingredients depending on how much you want to make.
I just breaded & baked the eggplant then layered it with store bought marinara sauce & pre-shredded mozzarella cheese…then baked it!
It’s that simple! The eggplant was crispy because I baked it for a long time…the sauce I chose was good…& the cheese was melty! I actually didn’t even have any parmesan cheese but you can add it!!! So I suppose that the name of this recipe should be different…. I will add parmesan to the recipe but know that is is delish without!
I didn’t take my usual pictures…. I only have pictures of this once it was already baked!
Here is the recipe
2 lb eggplant
2 eggs & a bit of water
approx 2 cups bread crumbs ( or matzo meal if making for Passover ) ..you might need more or less bread crumbs
1 large jar of your favourite marinara sauce
2-3 cups shredded mozzarella or as much as you would like to use!
1 -2 cups grated parmesan…. again as much as you want to use!
Line 2 baking sheets with foil or parchment paper, you might
Grease, I use non=stick cooking stray, a 8 x 8 baking dish
- Slice the eggplant in 1/4 inch slices… I sliced it lengthwise so I would have less pieces to prepare! But you can slice the eggplant anyway you like! Set aside
- Beat the eggs with a splash of water in a bowl big enough to dip the eggplant slices in ..
- Put the bread crumbs onto a plate
- Now, you will bread the eggplant… dip the slices of eggplant first in the egg, then coat them all over in the bread crumbs… put them onto the lined baking sheet in a single layer..
- Bake the eggplant slices in a 350f oven for 30-40 minutes until they are cooked through & crispy..if you want them crispy! Leave the oven on because you will using it again!
- Get your other ingredients handy because once the eggplants are cooked, you will be assembling the dish
- I didn’t really measure anything so here we go…
- The sauce will be used 3 times so when you are using it keep that in mind…Spread some marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish, make sure there is enough to completely cover the bottom…… now layer on 1/2 of the eggplant overlapping it as necessary, put some marinara sauce over the eggplant…sprinkle on the mozzarella covering all of the eggplant & sprinkle on some parmesan cheese. Layer the rest of the eggplant on now & then some marinara sauce, mozzarella & parmesan.
- Bake this in the hot oven, 350f…until this is hot & the cheese is melted! Approx 30-40 min
- Let sit for a few minutes before cutting so it stays together!!
You must log in to post a comment.