Putting everything together in one pan is not only good for clean-up but everything gets all the deliciousness from the chicken cooking on top and around the vegetables!
This recipe for One Pan Chicken & Potatoes is very flexible. You can really make it your own. The basic idea is to cook some chicken over-top of thinly sliced potatoes and onions. I have added a can of drained mushrooms but if you do not like mushrooms omit them. If you do not want the onions, omit it… but the potatoes are a must!!! The potatoes under the chicken get soft & the potatoes that are not under the chicken get a bit crisp so combined this is beyond delicious! The main trick is to just baste everything often so that the ingredients do not dry out! You should also stir the vegetables around a bit so they do not stick!
You can serve this dish with any vegetable you like One way is to add a tray of broccoli or any veg you like to the oven to roast while the chicken is finishing being cooked so that everything is ready at the same time!
Here is the recipe
1 large onion, sliced
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained *** optional if you do not like mushrooms!!
4 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
salt, pepper, paprika
2 tbsp neutral oil
8 pieces of chicken, I used 4 leg/thigh attached
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp Old Bay spice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp pepper
one 9 x 13 baking pan
Preheat the oven to 375f
- Spray the baking pan with some non-stick spray, this helps with clean up
- Put the sliced onion, drained mushrooms & sliced potatoes into the baking dish. Season with some salt, pepper & paprika. Drizzle the oil all over the vegetables. Mix together with your hands distributing the spices over all of the vegetables. Spread them out in the pan as flat as you can
- Now lay the chicken pieces on top of the vegetables
- Mix the paprika, Old Bay spice, garlic powder, sugar,salt & pepper together in a bowl. Sprinkle this spice mixture evenly all over the chicken. If you do not have enough spice mix for the amount of chicken you have, you can mix up some more and just use the amount you need. Put the remaining spice mix in a jar labeled Chicken Spice & save for another time
- **** Baste your chicken & vegetables often throughout the baking time so that none of the ingredients in the baking dish get dried out. And.. Stir the potatoes around a bit once in a while so they do not stick to the bottom of the pan
- Bake in the preheated oven until completely cooked. I like to cook my chicken for at least 1 1/2 – 2 hours ( the. time it takes to cook the chicken depends on the type of chicken you are cooking so go by that not just time in a recipe. Ultimately, it is up to the cook to make sure that their chicken is cooked completely through. This I very important ) & then longer if it is not brown enough! (You can remove the chicken once it is cooked if you want to a plate & crisp up the potatoes/onion/mushrooms for about 15 min or so. I liked the potatoes soft under the chicken but this is up to you ! )
- Serve right from the pan or remove the chicken & serve with the potatoes/onion/mushrooms along side on the same serving plate.