It is a bit late in the day to make a cake but it can be done so we can eat it after dinner tonight! Or eat it tomorrow!
I have looked at the recipes for these cakes many times and have not made it before! I am excited to try it now!
The cake is a tender white cake that a sweet milk sauce ..that has rum in it… is drizzled over the top and bottom of this cake while it is warm so it soaks in & makes a moist and utterly delicious cake!
I looked at many recipes but decided to use this one from Bon Appetit. Here is the link
One thing about this recipe is there are more egg whites used then the yolks so I might make a lemon curd with the yolks to make some lemon cupcakes in a few days!
I have rewritten the recipe without changes
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
6 egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole milk
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup condensed milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp rum ( dark)
Grease and flour a 9 x13 cake pan
Preheat the oven to 350f
- Whisk the flour baking powder & cinnamon together in a bowl and set aside
- Using the whisk attachment on your mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff
- Gradually add the sugar while the mixer is on, scrape the sides of the bowl
- Add the egg yolks to the bowl one at a time mixing after each one
- Now you will add the flour and milk alternately scrapping down the sides of the bowl as needed, start and end with the flour, mix until the batter is smooth
- Put the batter into the prepared cake pan, spread it out evenly
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. LOWER the oven temperature to 325f and continue baking until the cake is brown & springs back , approx 20-25 minutes more
- Prepare the sauce while the cake is baking … in a bowl, whisk the evaporated milk, condensed milk, heavy cream, vanilla and rum together. Set aside in the fridge until needed
****Put a rectangle cooling rack into a baking sheet… this will allow the sauce that you willl pour over the cake to go into the baking sheet and not all over the counter! Set aside
When the cake is finished baking
- Let the cake cool for 15 minutes in the pan then
- Turn the cake out of the pan onto the cooling rack…you have to take the cooling rack and put t over the cake and flip it over…so this can then be put back onto the baking sheet. The cake pan may be too hot for you to handle so use oven mitts
- Poke holes all over the cake with a skewer. Then drizzle half of the sauce all over the cake. Let it soak in for about 10 minutes
- Now, invert the cake onto a serving platter.. if you don’t have one big enough you could put it onto a baking sheet or even back into the baking pan ..
- Drizzle the remains sauce over the top of the cake and you can pour any of the sauce that is in the baking sheet over the cake!
- Let the cake cool the you can serve with whipped cream or just a dusting of icing sugar over the cake!