There is this recipe trending all over TikTok & on Instagram & food blogs.Here is my take on it!
Super quick.. the original recipe uses fresh cherry tomatoes roasted with some feta. I was talking to Jacki & she suggested we make this a ‘pantry’ recipe since not everyone can get to a grocery store often & might not have fresh cherry tomatoes..so we have made this with canned diced tomatoes… the only fresh ingredient is feta which can stay in the fridge for awhile so … we usually always have it in the fridge.I also love adding spinach to pasta so I have added some here.
Murray was my recipe taster & he really liked this!
Here is my recipe
1 large can diced tomatoes
2 cups frozen spinach leaves
2 tsp sugar
dried basil, dried oregano, kosher salt & some red pepper flakes
1 200g feta
1 lb penne… you can use any pasta you have or like
Preheat oven to 400f
- Drain the canned tomatoes & then put them into the baking dish…
- Add the spinach leaves & mix
- Now, sprinkle on the sugar & mix it
- Move the tomato /spinach around the edges of the pan leaving an open space in the middle
- Place the feta in the open space
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of the feta & all over the tomato & spinach
- Sprinkle the spices.. dried basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, a pinch or two of kosher salt on the feta & around the pan
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted water. When the pasta is cooked to your liking drain but do not rinse . *** you can keep out about a cup of pasta water to add to this dish if you want but I did not need it
- When the feta/tomato/spinach is finished cooking remove from the oven
- Break up the soft feta & mix everything together really well
- Add the cooked pasta & mix well making sure the all fo the pasta is mixed in to the sauce
- Taste & adjust seasoning.. you may want to add more salt.. I did not add papper but feel free to if you like!
- Thats it!!! Serve warm
Get our a 9 x 13 baking dish.. I used a lasagne pan