This is a Martha Stewart recipe & as all of her recipes…this one did not dissapoint!
I have been making Sourdough Bread & Challah regularly since we started staying home for Covid19… but I really wanted to eat a different bread so I made this one!
This bread was delicious for a sandwich & I loved it toasted!
This is nice to make by hand but you can use your mixer with the dough hook if you do not want to stand and knead the bread for 10 minutes. I find kneading bread to be a very peaceful activity … but not everyone will!
I changed the recipe with only one ingredient…the recipe called for melted butter but I used oil..& it worked out just great!
Here is the link to Martha Stewart Honey Whole Wheat Bread recipe
Here is the recipe with my one change
3 tbsp honey
1 3/4 cup warm wter
2 1/4 tsp yeast ( 1 pkg)
4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp kosher salt
3 tbsp neutral oil.. I used canola oil
- Stir the honey & warm water together in a bowl & sprinkle the yeast on… Let this stand until it is foamy.
- In the bowl of your mixer fitted with the dough hook or in a bowl, mix the flour & salt together
- Add the oil & bloomed yeast mixture & if doing this by hand,
- Stir until a dough forms, then knead by hand on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes OR Turn on your mixer & mix until the dough gathers around the blade in a ball. I put my mixer on low to gather the ingredients into a dough then increase the speed to medium to continue mixing until you have a smooth dough. Remove from the mixer & knead into a ball
- Grease a large bowl with some oil, put the dough into the bowl . Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, foil Or I use a silicone lid. Set aside in a warm place & let rise for 45 minutes
- While your dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375f & grease a loaf pan
- When your dough has finished rising, punch it down.. this lets air out of the dough
- Put the dough onto a very lightly floured work surface & shape it into an 8 inch square … about 1 inch thick. Fold the sides of the dough into the middle …thye will slightly overlap…. Press the seam to seal it well
- Put the dough seam side down into the prepared loaf pan. Lightly sprinkle it with flour. Cover with plastic wrap & let the dough rise again until the loaf is about 3/4 inch from the top of the pan…. does not take long…about 30-45 mint
- Remove the plastic wrap & place the pan in the preheated oven. Immediately reduce the heat to 350f
- Bake until the top is golden brown.. about 35-40 minutes… you can rotate the bread halfway through baking as in the original recipe..though I forgot to do this opps!
- Leave the bread in the pan, put on a wire rack….& let it cool for 20 minutes… turn the bread out onto the rack & let cool completely.
One thought on “Whole Wheat Bread with Honey”
You must log in to post a comment.