Since I have been making Sourdough Bread there is a lot of discard to deal with! Thankfully there are lots of recipes online !
If you do not have any discard to make these crackers i am not sure that this recipe is for you…. sorry! There is a recipe on Epicurious for 3-Ingredient Seeded crackers that you could try.. I have not made them but Epicurious is really a good site!
I changed up a recipe for Crackers that is on the King Arthur Site. I had made them before as written but today I used olive oil instead of the butter and ..well,,,they are just so delicious!!!
These are simple to make… and I am going to make them often!!
Here is my adapted recipe…..the original recipe link is here
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp sea salt or kosher salt…or I am sure regular would be fine too
1 cup Sourdough starter or unfed discard… I used unfed discard
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp poppyseeds
some vegetable oil for brushing on the top of the crackers before baking…
Coarse salt for sprinkling on the crackers before baking
- Mis the flour, salt, sourdough discard, oil & poppyseeds together until it forms a dough… it took a bit to incorporate of the the dry ingredients but just keep at it.. I started using a spoon but quickly realized using my hands was a much better idea
- Divide the dough in half. Form each half into a flat square. Wrap in plastic wrap & chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350f
- Now get all of the others things you need ready!
- You will need some flour to roll the dough on & a rolling pin
- Get a baking sheet & parchment paper ready… put some oil into a dish…have a pastry brush ready & the coarse salt… oh.. & a sharp knife to cut the dough into crackers & a fork
- Lightly flour the parchment paper & rolling pin. You are going to roll the dough out onto the parchment paper then transfer it to the baking sheet
- When the dough has chilled for 30 minutes, remove from the fridge
- Start with one piece
- Roll the dough on the prepared parchement paper until it is really thin…the recipe says 1/16 of an inch which is hard to tell so I just rolled it out very thinly. The edges are not even but that is ok
- Transfer the dough on the parchment paper to the baking sheet
- Lightly brush the dough with some oil then sprinkle salt all over… use the salt sparingly
- Cut the dough into squares …the recipe suggests 1 1/4 inch squares but mine are bigger…you can see in the picture. Use a pizza wheel or a sharp knife for this
- Prick the crackers all over with the fork
- Put into the preheated oven for abut 20 minutes… have a look and see if they are done to your liking..if not bake a bit longer. The thiner pieces will brown sooner…I got some crisp ones!
- When done remove from the oven to a rack to cool
- Repeat with remaining dough!