I have been wanting to make this Pomegranate Chicken for a very long time! I saw this recipe for the first time in 2015 on THE NOSHER , myjewishlearning.com! That is a long time to want to make something!
I have folders on my Gmail with different food categories…& one day I was going through the chicken folder… & saw this recipe!
The chicken was very tasty. The pomegranate gave it kind of a tart flavour but it was counter-acted by the honey in the recipe.
I served this for company & they really liked it! There wasn’t many leftovers…so I know they were not just being nice when they said it was good!!
Some changes I made to the original recipe….I used bone-in chicken thighs… I used 16 thighs…This is twice the amount of chicken the recipe called for…I did not double the sauce ingredients. I omitted allspice from the sauce since I don’t think Murray likes allspice1 Also, the recipe says to brown the chicken before baking it with the sauce, but I did not do this… I cooked my chicken until it was nice & brown in the oven..you will see in the pictures!!
Here is the recipe from THE NOSHER..adapted slightly
16 Chicken pieces…you can use 2 cup up chickens…or I used bone-in chicken thighs…
oil…. you will use oil to make the sauce & to brown the chicken
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
1/2 cup sweetened pomegranate juice
1/2 cup honey
2 cups broth.. I used vegetable broth since I never have chicken broth around, but you could use chicken broth here
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp tumeric
salt & pepper to taste
Making the Sauce
- Put the chicken pieces, single layer into a roasting pan …son’t use a dish that has low sides..the sauce fills up the pan a bit to start
- Heat about 2 tbs of oil in a saucepan
- Add the chopped onion & cook until the onion is soft & transluscent
- Add the minced garlic, stir & cook for about 2-3 minuts
- Now, Add the pomegranate molasses, the pomegranate juice, the honey , broth & spices.
- Stir well & bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat & simmer this sauce, uncovered until it is reduced … the recipe said to reduce it by half, but I did not wait that long :))) …. the recipe says to cook it for about 20 minutes …I did not… I wanted more sauce so I just cooked it for about 10 minutes…or until it looked done to me…
- When it is done, set aside…you will pour this on the chicken
- You can taste the sauce when it cools a bit & season to taste…add more honey if it is too tart…
- Pour the sauce over the chicken
- Bake at 350f until the chicken is nice & brown…Baste the chicken occasionally… I cooked it for about 2 hours… but you can just make sure the chicken is cooked through & remove it when it is to your liking…you will see form the pictures my chicken was really brown.. I left it in the oven until we were ready to eat… it could have come out of the oven sooner!!!