I have been making these Scalloped Potatoes for years. They are vegan….parve… which is perfect for us!
The recipe is from THE PLEASURES OF YOUR PROCESSOR by NORENE GILLETZ. The name of the recipe is Best-Ever Scalloped Potatoes & you know what??? They are so good, they may just be the best!
Here is the recipe, as it is in the cookbook , I don’t really change it at all, I do double the recipe sometimes, but here it the recipe to serve 4 people
6 medium potatoes,…. I use whatever potatoes I have on hand
salt & pepper
3 tbsp parve..non-dairy margarine
3 tbsp flour
2 tsp instant chicken soup mix
1 1/2 c boiling water
paprika to sprinkle on top before baking
Preheat oven to 350f
You will need a casserole dish. the size of the pan will depend on the amount of potatoes you have!!
- Grease the casserole dish & set aside
- Peel the potatoes. Cut them into thin slices, I use my food processor to do this. Put the slicing blade in & cut the potato to fit through the tube.
- Layer the potatoes in the greased casserole dish…salt & pepper each layer of potatoes
- If you have a food processor use it to make the sauce that you are going to pour over the potatoes… if not you can use a whisk & a bowl!
- In the food processor, mix the margarine, flour & chicken soup mix together ( or stir together in a bowl)
- Which the food processor on, pour the boiling water through the feed tube & mix until it is smooth (In the bowl, add a small amount of hot water to the flour mixture…stir to a smooth paste, then whisk in the rest of the hot water, whisking until smooth & there are not any lumps. If you get some lumps, use a strainer to strain them out. Put the strainer over a bowl, pour the sauce through the strainer & using a spoon press it through the strainer squishing any lumps. Scrape the underside of the strainer so that you get all of the sauce mixture into the bowl!
- Transfer the sauce to a small saucepan & cook over a medium heat until the sauce thickens…stir constantly so this does not stick to the bottom of the pan. The sauce will get thick & bubbly
- You can add salt & pepper to the sauce to taste
- Pour the hot sauce over the prepared potatoes
- Sprinkle with paprika
- Bake uncovered in a 350f oven for 1 1/4 hours until the potatoes are soft & brown