I have been making these Scalloped Potatoes for years. They are vegan….parve… which is perfect for us!
The recipe is from THE PLEASURES OF YOUR PROCESSOR by NORENE GILLETZ. The name of the recipe is Best-Ever Scalloped Potatoes & you know what??? They are so good, they may just be the best!
Here is the recipe, as it is in the cookbook , I don’t really change it at all, I do double the recipe sometimes, but here it the recipe to serve 4 people
6 medium potatoes,…. I use whatever potatoes I have on hand
salt & pepper
3 tbsp parve..non-dairy margarine
3 tbsp flour
2 tsp instant chicken soup mix
1 1/2 c boiling water
paprika to sprinkle on top before baking
You will need a casserole dish. the size of the pan will depend on the amount of potatoes you have!!
- Grease the casserole dish & set aside
- Cut the potatoes into thin slices…. you are going to layer them in the greased casserole dish…salt & pepper each layer of potatoes
- If you have a food processor use it to make the sauce that you are going to pour over the potatoes… if not you can use a whisk & a bowl!
- In the food processor..mix the margarine, flour & chicken soup mix together ( stir together in a bowl)
- Which the food processor on, pour the boiling water through the feed tube & mix until it is smooth (In the bowl, add a small amount of hot water to the flour mixture…stir to a smooth paste, then whisk in the rest of the hot water, whisking until smooth & not lumps..if you get some lumps, use a strainer to strain them out…squish them …then add them back to the sauce!)
- Transfer the sauce to a pot & cook over a medium heat until the sauce thickens…stir constantly so this does not stick to the bottom of the pot. The sauce will get thick & bubbly
- You can add salt & pepper to the sauce to taste
- Pour the hot sauce over the prepared potatoes
- Sprinkle with paprika
- Bake uncovered in a 350f oven for 1 1/4 hours until the potatoes are soft & brown