My friend Pnina gave me this recipe many years ago & I am not sure where she got the recipe from. Pnina makes delicious soups so & this is no exception.
This is a simple soup but the flavour is so satisfying. It is one of my ‘go-to’ soups in the winter. Quick to make with everyday ingredients, it is perfect for any time!
The soup is cooked than pureed. I like to use an emersion blender, but a stand alone blender will work or a food processor… I would let the soup cool a bit before pureeing it in the food processor, just so you don’t burn yourself!
I garnished this soup with some dried parsley but you do not have to if you do not have any or just don’t want to!!
This recipe is vegan….
Here is the recipe
2 tbsp oil
1 small onion
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp curry powder
2 lbs of carrots
1/4 cup rice
8 cups broth or water… I use vegetable broth but if I don’t have any, water is fine. You might just have to adjust the seasonings to add more flavor
Salt to taste
- Prepare your ingredients…chop the onion, grate the ginger, cut the carrots into equal size chunks
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil & add the onion. Sauté the onion until it is transparent & soft
- Add the grated ginger & mix well with the onion
- Add the curry powder, mix
- Add the carrots, rice & vegetable broth
- Bring to a boil, than lower heat to a slower boil.
- Cook the soup until the carrots are soft & the liquid cooks down a bit
- Let cool & puree, adjust seasonings