Butternut squash soup √ Corn Chowder √ What happens if you mix these 2 together???
I was given a new cookbook for my birthday..the new kosher…the pictures are beautiful, the recipes seem innovative & easy to follow. The recipes are not just for someone who keeps kosher…it is just the ingredients are kosher..everyone would’ve this book…It was difficult to decide which recipe to make first but I had a butternut squash unhand so I picked this soup… butternut squash & corn chowder. page 66
This soup is vegan/parve if you add vegetable broth to it!
Just a few ingredients & a quick prep ..then you have soup
I asked the author of the cookbook..KIM KUSHNER, if I could blog her recipes & she said YES..so here is the first one & since it was good I am going to try lots of the recipes
Here is a link to the cookbook on Amazon if you are interested…
Here is the recipe
3 large yellow onions, diced *** I only had 2
1 large butternut squash about 2 – 2 1/2 pounds
4 fresh thyme leaves *** I froze a package of thyme leaves so I had this
1/4 cup olive oil *** I used grape seed oil this has become my go-to oil for cooking
vegetable broth… 1 – 2 cups *** I used about 3 cups to make the soup a bit thinner then when I had only put in 2 cups
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels *** keep the corn frozen until you add it to the soup
Preheat the oven to 375f Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Dice the onions & put them onto the prepared baking sheet
- Prepare the butternut squash, rinse it before you peel it….then seed & cube it
- Put the butternut squash on the same baking sheet as the onions
- Add the thyme leaves to the baking sheet
- Drizzle the oil over the onions & butternut;.. toss together & put into a single layer
- Cover the baking sheet with foil & put into the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes
- After the 30 minutes uncover the baking sheet & return to the hot oven & continue cooking for another 30 minutes or longer if needed until the butternut squash is soft & the onions are brownish *** some of my onions burnt a bit so you can just not add those ones if that happens to some of your onions
- Remove from the oven & discard the thyme leaves… set the baking sheet aside & let cool for a few minutes
- Meanwhile, get out a soup pot, just a medium size one..
- Now, there are a couple of ways you can continue making this soup..the recipe says to put the roasted butternut/onions into a food processor & puree, then put this into the soup pot…then add the vegetable broth…I didn’t do that… I put the vegetables into the soup pot, added the vegetable broth then used my immersion blender to puree this all together. Then I added more broth to the consistency I wanted..which ended up being about 3 cups of veg broth
- At this point, add the frozen corn kernels & warm the soup up until the corn is hot
- Season with salt & pepper
- Now this soup is finished!!