This is one of the first recipes I put on my blog… I recently posted a recipe for a pot roast in the Instant Pot. I am trying to think about which way I prefer to make a pot roast & I could not really. Not everyone has an Instant Pot, so this is a really good recipe for a slow cooker.
This recipe is my own…& the one for the Instant Pot is a recipe I saw on line. Both are good. I think it depends on what appliance you have. You can use this recipe in the Instant Pot but ADD 2 CUPS OF LIQUID. The pressure cooker needs liquid to come up to pressure & work properly…at least that is what I have read about it! If you want to make this particular recipe in your Instant Pot, refer to this recipe Pot Roast in the Instant Pot for times & instructions.
Step 3 of this recipe calls for searing the meat so you get a nice brown crust on the meat, but honestly I have made it more often then not without searing the meat…. & it is just fine. Part of the beauty of the slow cooker for me is that it is simple..just put the ingredients in & turn it on… leave the house & come home to dinner. I mention in #7 I put the roast into the oven, I always do this while I am getting the rest of dinner ready. But you certainly do not have to do this if you don’t want to.
Either way it is prepared, Pot Roast is a really good winter time dinner!
Here is my recipe
Marilyn’s Pot Roast in the Slow Cooker
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
3 parsnips, peered and cut into 2 inch chunks
1 medium size onion, cut into 8 ths
1 3 1/2 pound rolled roast
2 tbsp garlic powder
salt & pepper
2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1. Put the prepared carrots, parsnips and onions into the crockpot
2. Season the roast all over with the garlic powder and salt & pepper, rubbing it in
3. In a median size skillet, heat the 2 tbsp oil and sear the roast on all sides until it gets a nice brown crust.
4. Put the seared roast into the crock pot
5. Mix the ketchup and the Worcestershire sauce together and spread on top of the roast
6. Cover the crockpot and set for 8 hours on low.
7. Once the cycle is finished, I took the crockpot pot and put it into a 350F oven for 30 minutes to brown the roast. basting often. If there is some ketchup on top I just put some of the juice from the pan on top of the roast so it isn’t so condensed on the top
*** This can also made in the oven. 325F until tender so most likely around 3 hours. Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the roaster so the roast doesn’t dry out