We went to our friends house for dinner & she served the most delicious dessert, Rowena’s Pineapple Dessert. ! It is an old recipe…one our mothers made. It was delicious & Rowena shared the recipe with me so that I could blog it!
Of course the whole meal was delicious so when Rowena brought out this dessert it was just the ‘topping on the cake’ !! Old expression for a dessert that dates back a few decades!
It is a simple combination of delicious ingredients. Graham wafer crust, the filling is whipped cream, crushed pineapple, icing sugar & butter!! Served chilled! Well, there you go! Delicious! It has to chill in the refrigerator so a bit of advanced planning is needed but it is worth it!
Here is the recipe
*** the original recipe called for 2 raw eggs, I have changed the recipe so that there are no raw eggs in it. There are different options for substituting an ingredient to replace raw eggs in the recipe. One is to buy pasteurized eggs in the grocery store or the other is to use mayonnaise to substitute raw eggs in a recipe. so for 1 egg …. 2 -3 tbsp of mayonnaise can be used to replace the raw egg. I think depending on what you are making, the mayonnaise might give the food a bit of a ‘tangy’ taste, but I tried it in the recipe & you can not taste the mayonnaise at all! So I am giving you the recipe with the mayonnaise!
For the crust
2 cups graham crumbs
1/2 cup melted butter
For the filling
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
1 can crushed pineapple, drained well
Preheat oven to 375f
6 x 9 baking dish or a square 9 inch baking dish
- Mix the graham wafer crumbs with the melted butter
- Reserve 1/2 cup of crumb mixture for the topping
- Pat the remaining crumb mixture evenly into the bottom of the baking dish. Press firmly
- Bake the crust in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until brown around the edges
- Let cool
- In the bowl of a mixmaster beat the whipping cream into firm peaks & set aside in a different bowl so you can use your mix master again… I only have one bowl
- Put the softened butter into the mixer bowl & beat until it is softened. Scrape it up from the bottom & sides of the bowl
- Add the mayonnaise & mix it through
- Add the icing sugar & mix well, scraping the bowl to bring all of the ingredients together
- Add the drained pineapple & on a low-speed mix it in or alternately you can remove the bowl from the mixer & fold the pineapple in by hand
- Gently fold in the whipped cream. Make sure all of the ingredients are combined
- Put this mixture on top of the cooled graham crust & spread evenly
- Sprinkle the reserved graham wafer crumbs over the top
- Chill in the refrigerator overnight…or until it cools & is firm. You can freeze this as well but take it out of the freezer the morning you want to serve it & put in the refrigerator to defrost.
One thought on “Rowena’s Pineapple Dessert”
Lovely! Pineapples are so delicious, but I often forget about them unless I see them in the produce section!
You must log in to post a comment.