With all of the beautiful tomatoes available now in Farmers Markets or in your back yards..this is a perfect recipe to use them in!
The recipe is from Bon Appetit Tomato Galette Recipe
I adjusted it a bit to suit what I had in the house, so again, as I always do…I will give you the recipe as I made it! Check out the original too…then you can see what that is & adjust to your own taste if you want!
This is similar to a pizza but not really if that makes sense :)) The crust is a pie dough…not a yeast dough that is pizza! Also…there are other differences!
We loved this..the crust was flaky & amazing… I used cheddar cheese because that is what I had in the house, the recipe recommends using a firm cheese …cheddar, asiago, gouda… we liked the cheddar cheese in this!
To plan ahead….
The dough has to chill for 2 hours..this is so the butter firms up after being handled while you mixed the dough.. so keep that in mind when you are thinking about making this. I am sure you can make this without it being in the fridge for that long… try to chill it before rolling it out though for as long as you can!
The tomatoes are sprinkled with salt & left to sit in a bowl for about 5 minutes to release some liquid… so do this while the dough is chilling!
Here is a grocery list for you…other then these ingredients you most likely have everything
Go buy…. 1 lb unsalted butter. 1 1/2 pounds beautiful tomatoes, fresh garlic, 4 oz firm cheese …either…cheddar, asiago, gouda….
Here is the recipe
For the crust
2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup ice cold water
For The Fillling
1 1/2 lbs tomatoes ..try to get delicious ripe tomatoes….
1 – 2 cloves of garlic
4 oz ( 114 g) shredded cheddar cheese
To Put Together
1 large beaten egg
freshly ground pepper
cut up chives to garnish if you want
- In the bowl of your food processor, pulse the flour & salt a couple times to combine
- Cut the butter into chunks, add to the bowl of the food processor
- Process this until the butter is in small pieces & the mixture looks like coarse meal with some bigger chunks of butter
- Turn this out into a big bowl
- Drizzle the apple cider vinegar & water over the flour mixture
- Mix this with a fork or I used my hands until the dough comes together… add more water , a tbsp at a time, if needed so that the dough is not dry but not too wet! The dough should stay together but be kind of ‘shaggy’
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface & knead until blended without any dry spots. Don’t overwork it or else the dough will not be flaky
- Pat this into a disc & wrap in plastic wrap
- Put the dough into the fridge for a couple of hours
- Just before the dough is ready to come out of the fridge…. about 5 minutes
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices…put into a bowl
- You can slice the garlic or I used a garlic press… I don’t like to bite into sliced garlic… add this to the bowl of tomatoes
- Sprinkle the tomato slices & the garlic with 1 tsp salt…mix it around so the salt is distributed evenly around
- Let this sit for about 5 minutes to start to release liquid from the tomatoes
Preheat oven to 400f Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Take the dough out of the fridge, unwrap it & put it on a lightly floured work surface…
- Roll the dough into a circle about 14 inches big & 1/8 inch thick… the recipe says to roll this on a piece of parchment paper but I do not like doing that… so I use a work surface then transfer the dough circle carefully to the lined baking sheet
- Drain the tomatoes.. I put them onto some paper towels
- Sprinkle the cheese over the dough leaving a 1 1/2 inch boarder
- Arrange the tomato slices over the dough…leaving the 1 1/2 inch boarder
- Bring the edges of the dough up around the filling.. overlap the dough where needed…
- Brush the dough with the beaten egg
- Season with sea salt ( if you have it ) or kosher salt… & pepper to taste
- Put this in the freezer for about 10 minutes
- Bake the galette in the preheated oven until the crust is golden brown & it is cooked through about 60 minutes
- Let cool slightly.. I squeezed lemon juice on …the recipe says to grate some lemon zest on & then squeeze the lemon over top… & sprinkle with chopped chives… I did not use the lemon zest
- Note… I would not use the lemon juice next time. I did not like it.. too lemony!
This was delicious… the crust was so good.. Murray loved it!
You must log in to post a comment.