This Sweet Potato in Orange Sauce Casserole is delicious!
This is a recipe from my mom’s recipe box, I have looked at this for years and never made it! That was a mistake as we could have been enjoying it all these years! I am not sure where the recipe originates from and I know I have never had it before so did my mom ever really make it or was it just one of those recipes that we all write down sometimes … thinking we would make it but never have? Who knows but I am glad I have tried it
The sweet potatoes are sliced and layered in a casserole dish then then a cooked orange sauce is poured over top. Popped into the oven and baked for about 45 minutes covered then another 20 minutes uncovered this comes out with the sweet potatoes soft & glazed! I couldn’t get enough of this! Leftovers were for lunch the next day, noting else just a scoop of these amazing sweet potatoes.
The original recipe called for butter but I want to make this Parve/vegan so I have used a vegan margarine. Anyone will do. I like the Becel vegan Margarine or the new one made with Oat beverage.
Here is the recipe
This makes a large casserole so if you want less just halve the recipe
4 lbs sweet potatoes
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp, heaping, corn starch
2 cups orange juice
4 Tbsp vegan margarine
Grease a large casserole dish or one that will fit the amount of sweet potatoes you are making. If you have a casserole dish that has a lid use it or else have some foil handy to cover the dish
Preheat oven to 400f
- Wash, peel & slice the sweet potatoes until 1/2 inch slices
- Layer the sweet potatoes overlapping, in the prepared casserole dish and set aside
Make the sauce
- In a medium size saucepan, mix the sugar & corn starch . use a whisk for this one that you can useto stir the sauce while it is cooking
- Add the orange juice & stir to combine
- Bring this to a gentle boil & continue cooking over medium heat, stirring often until thick. This took a while, You can turn the heat up if needed but be careful not to burn the bottom of the pan
- When this is thick, add the Vegan margarine & stir until melted
Putting it together
Pour the hot thickened sauce all over the layer sweet potatoes in the casserole dish. I lifted the potatoes a bit to get some the sauce underneath them
Cover the casserole & bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove lid andcontimue cooking for another 15-20 minutes more until the potatoes are nicely glazed. Remove form the oven & let sit for a few minutes before serving as the sauce is very hot!