My friend Ruth told me that this cake is her husbands favourite cake! And.. no wonder…it is delicious!
I am lucky to have had this at their home in the past… and was so happy that she told me I could write up this recipe for my blog!
Made in a 9×13 pan it is a perfect cake to leave on the counter so that you can cut a piece whenever you walk by!! Or … it freezes well so just cut it up into serving size pieces & freeze, then when you want some cake you can take it out of the freezer… let it come to room temperature & enjoy! I like to freeze pieces of cake on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper then when it is frozen pop into a container … this way the pieces do not stick together when frozen & it is easy to take out just what you want to eat!
This cake is dairy, it is made with milk & butter. If you want to make it parve… ( I have not tried this) you could try replacing the milk with a plant based milk & the butter with a parve/vegan margarine! If you do let me know how it turns out!
Ruth puts a lemon glaze on this cake & so did I . You can glaze this with a plain glaze.. or any flavour in you want… or leave it plain.. whatever you prefer!
Here is the recipe .. Ruth told me she puts everything into the mixer at once & just mixes it up!
2 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup butter… melt to soft not runny
1 cup milk… any milk will be ok here
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sifted icing sugar
a couple tbsp of lemon juice……enough lemon juice to make a glaze as thick or thin as you like!
Preheat oven to 375f
Grease a 9 x 13 pan… I used non-stick cooking spray
- Put all of the ingredients into the bowl of a mixer & beat until completely combined, scrape down the sides as needed.
- Pour into the prepared pan .. making sure it is distributed evenly into the corners too! I had to coax the batter around the edges!
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-60 mini.. this is a long difference in time so check at 45 min & bake until the cake is baked completely
- Remove the cake from the oven & let cool
- While the cake is cooling make the glaze. Start by adding about 1 tbsp of lemon juice to the sifted icing sugar..mix & then continue adding the liquid until you have the consistency you like
- When the cake is cool pour the glaze over the top!