This recipe is from a cookbook my mother-in-law gave me when Murray and I got married!! I have used it for over 40 years and I love the recipes in it!
SECOND HELPINGS PLEASE! was first published in 1968. Norene Gilletz edited the book.
This recipe is for is PASSOVER CINNAMON NUT SQUARES… it is not a square recipe… but a cake that is cut in square pieces! Baked in a 9×13 pan…this cake was easy to prepare, no separate beaten egg whites that go into many Passover cake recipes.
Here is the recipe If you have SECOND HELPINGS PLEASE! the recipe is on page 226. I made a couple changes … I did not have any cake meal so I put the equivalent amount of matzo meal in the food processor & whirled it until it was fine.. it was not as fine as cake meal but it worked in the cake… I also added water..the recipe called for the juice of half an orange and half a lemon.. I didn’t want to use that so I used water. The cake turned out delicious.
NOTE: During the year I am sure you could replace the cake meal with flour!
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup oil
4 tbsp water
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 cup cake meal ** I used finely processed matzo meal
1 tbsp potato starch ** if you are using flour for this recipe during the year, I would omit this
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chopped walnuts ** you can use any nuts you like
cinnamon sugar… just mix some sugar & cinnamon together to the taste you like..if you make too much no problem, just store it with your spices until next time you need some cinnamon sugar..
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until light in texture. I used a hand mixer but you can use a stand mixer for this as well
- Add the oil & water, mix well
- Add the cinnamon, cake meal, potato starch & salt, mix…start your hand mixer on low so that the dry ingredients do not fly out of the bowl!! Scrape down the sides of the bowl & make sure that all of the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet ingredients
- Fold in the nuts
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish
- Sprinkle the top evenly with cinnamon/sugar
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the cake is cooked through
You must log in to post a comment.