This delicious Blueberry Pudding is a lovely dessert.
I have the recipe in my recipe binders], but I do not know where I got it from! I cut it out of a magazine years ago. It is one of the recipes I saw one time, & thought it would be good- then did not make it! I have to say that I missed out on years of enjoying this Blueberry Pudding!
This Blueberry Pudding has a cake-like texture studded with blueberries, not too sweet which is perfect so you get the real taste of the blueberries.
Very easy to make with few ingredients. You can use fresh or frozen blueberries, though the original recipe calls for frozen blueberries. I like to bake with frozen blueberries to save time.. otherwise I wash & dry the blueberries then sort through to make sure none of the fresh blueberries are moldy, so I prefer to use frozen ones! And, if you keep a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer you can make anything whenever you want! like these Blueberry Muffins or Blueberry Galette
You can serve this with some ice cream or whipped cream is delicious. On its own is great too ( I sprinkled it with some icing sugar but it quickly got absorbed into the Blueberry Pudding!)
A few recipe notes- This overflows a bit so the bottom of the oven will get some butter on it… my suggestion would be to but a foil lined baking sheet on the oven rack below the baking dish to catch any spills ( I always forget to do this & then regret it!!_. Also note that there is melted butter on the top of this when it comes out of the oven & this is puffed up a bit…as it cools the butter soaks into the pudding & it deflates…
Here is the recipe
4 cups blueberries, frozen
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp + 1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease a 9 inch round pie plate and the batter filled it up to the top! So next time I am going to use a bit of a deeper dish
1. Put the blueberries into a bowl, add 1/4 cup brown sugar sugar & 1 tbsp of flour. Mix to coat all of the berries
2. Put the blueberry mixture into the prepared baking dish
3. In a bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup of flour with the butter until it resembles a coarse meal. You can use your fingers for this, 2 knives or a pastry cutter. If you want to use a food processor, just pulse until it is to the texture you want & not too fine.
4. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar, milk, egg, lemon peel & vanilla. Mix to combine.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish
6. Bake for about 55 minutes until it is firm in the centre & golden brown. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. You can eat this warm or room temperature. If you want, you can warm up leftovers in the microwave briefly.