I love this super quick and delicious pasta dish, Fettuccine with Vodka Spinach Sauce! Perfect for any day of the week.
The original recipe is from Salt & Lavender.. here is the link to that recipe The Best Penne alla Vodka.
I have made this as the recipe says but I have now changed it a bit to suit our taste, I add a bit more tomato paste, use garlic powder instead of fresh & I add some spinach. I use Penne but I was out so made this with fettuccine and I actually prefer it. I love fettuccine pasta so this was perfect.
This recipe for Fettuccine with Vodka Spinach Sauce was very quick to prepare. The sauce was done by the time the pasta was cooked… actually the sauce was done before the pasta but it was pretty close. Because of timing if the sauce gets cooked down too much add some of the pasta water to it & cook for a bit to combine the sauce & the water.
Tip*** when making pasta with a sauce, take the pasta from the pot when it is finished cooking right into the sauce & don’t get rid of the water until the dish is finished. The sauce may need some of the pasta water to thin it out!
I served this with a Ceasar Salad & made Murray some garlic bread which he loves to eat with pasta!
Here is the recipe with my changes
Fettuccine 250 g
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1/2 small onion, chopped finely
2 handfuls of fresh spinach
1/4 cup vodka
1/3 cup tomato paste *** I started out with 1/4 cup of tomato paste but I wanted it to be a bit more flavourful so I added more during the cooking for a total of 1/3 of a cup
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt to taste
pepper to taste if you like pepper!
3/4 cup whipping cream *** I have tried substituting milk for this but it really needs cream so that the sauce is thick and rich
Parmesan cheese, grated, to garnish*** optional
- Cook the fettuccini according to package instructions.
- Make the Sauce while the pasta is cooking
- Use a large skillet with deep sides that can accommodate the sauce and pasta together
- Heat the oil & butter, when the butter is melted add the chopped onion & cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the spinach and let it cook down & wilt. Cook until most of the moisture from the spinach has evaporated
- Add the Vodka and let it simmer for about 30 seconds
- Turn the heat off and add the tomato paste, stirring until smooth
- Season with the garlic powder, salt & pepper.
- Put the heat back on to medium & add the whipping cream, stirring to combine. Turn the heat a bit lower and cook until the sauce thickens up a bit. Taste and adjust the seasonings
- Add the cooked pasta & mix well. IF the sauce is too thick for your taste add some pasta water a bit at a time so you don’t water down the sauce
- Serve with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese if you want!
some of the ingredients