I am not sure what the name of this yeasted cake is so I just call it a Quick Cinnamon Swirl Cake
My husband’s Florence Vinsky, gave me this recipe. Sadly Auntie Florence passed away recently. I have so many fond memories of her. We spent time together during many summer vacations in the Okanagan in British Columbia. Needless to say she will be greatly missed. Auntie Florence baked this one time & we all loved it so she gave me the recipe written on a piece of paper. I have no idea where she got the recipe from. I have tried to search for the recipe online to give credit to the original recipe but could not find it. I am sure my aunt must have gotten the recipe from somewhere!!
This is a Quick Cinnamon Swirl Cake made with yeast but does not rise like a bread, just rests for 10 minutes after mixing the batter & putting it into a prepared baking dish. I am calling it a cake, but I don’t really know what to call it!!! The yeast would lead us to think it is a bread but it is not a traditional bread…so therefore I think it is a yeasted cake! Whatever we call it, this is delicious.
This Quick Cinnamon Swirl Cake bakes for only 30 minutes so when you have a craving for cinnamon buns & don’t have the time you need to make those this could become your favourite substitution ! Very simple to put together and delicious!
It is very easy to make this recipe parve/non-dairy…use almond milk & vegan margarine!
Here is the recipe
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 envelopes of Rapid Rise Yeast ***or if you yeast in bulk use 4 1/2 tsp
2/3 cup very warm milk
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla
***Since there is melted butter in all of the parts to this.. I just melted it all at once so, a total of 6 tbsp of butter
DO NOT PRE-HEAT THE OVEN
Spray an 8×8 pan
- Mix the batter ingredients together and put into the prepared pan
- Let rest for 10 minutes… the batter does not ‘rise’
- While the batter is resting, mix the cinnamon mixture together and put on top of the batter
- With your fingers, poke holes all the batter making sure the topping gets down into the batter…
- Bake in a cold, NOT PRE-HEATED 350F oven
- Bake for 25-30 minutes I baked mine for 30 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let cool of 10 minutes
- While this is cooling, mix up the icing
- Put the icing on top while warm. You can drizzle it or spread it all over like I did
Cut into squares & enjoy!!