There are many things I love about spring! One of which is our rhubarb plant in the backyard! It does not take long for it to spring to life when the weather warms up!
Usually I make a Rhubarb and Strawberry Crisp! My daughter Jacki made a crisp a few weeks ago with Rhubarb and Blueberry and told me it was delicious…so I decided to make one too! I always have a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer so that is what I used.
I made a delicious oatmeal topping and pressed it down on the fruit to make almost an oatmeal cookie topping.. I love it! I also made this crisp parve/dairy-free… and vegan!
You can adjust the sugar in this recipe to your liking! I used less sugar then some might like because Murray and I like out rhubarb tart!
Here is the recipe
3 cups of sliced rhubarb
2 cups blueberries … I used frozen
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 cups oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup oil
Preheat oven to 350f.
Grease an 8×8 square baking dish
- Combine the rhubarb & blueberries together in a large bowl .
- Add the sugar & cornstarch, mix well until the fruit is coated with the dry ingredients
- Put the fruit filling into the prepared baking dish
- Make the topping. Combine the oats, cinnamon, flour, brown sugar, salt & oil, mix well so that all of the oats are coated with the oil
- Press the oat topping firmly onto the fruit in the baking dish
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven until you see the fruit bubbling up along the sides of the pan and the oat topping is browned
- Let cool for awhile before eating as the fruit will be very hot & the filling firms up a bit as it cools!