I usually buy rice pudding at the grocery store, Kozy Shack, which is really delicious .. I decided to make this instead of buying it today!
My mother-in-law sent me this recipe to me in 2013 ( it was a bit cryptic but I have figured it out!) & I have never made it! I had printed out the email but it got tucked away in my huge recipe binder! I discovered it today and decided to give it a try. Well..it is absolutely delish! Leave out the raisins if you don’t like them, t will be just as good! There a sauce for it which called for brandy but I put in rum.. we all know Murray loves rum! Then topped with a dollar of whipped cream and some slivered almonds.. it is fantastic! I may never buy Kozy Shack again!
It calls for cooked rice so I am using instant rice which I am sure is going to great in this recipe and I have a box of it in the pantry.. I used it for the Cheese & Rice Kugel
Serve warm or cold… pour the sauce on.. I used enough that it pooled a bit amongst the rice pudding..add a dollop of whipped cream & some almonds… or of course just eat it as it is!!! So Good!
Here is the recipe..
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup raisins ( optional )
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 oz rum or brandy
3/4 cup cream
Grease a 8 x 8 square baking dish
- Whisk the eggs & add the milk, brown sugar, salt & vanilla, mix well
- Add the rice & raisins, mix
- Pour into the prepared baking dish & bake for 40-50 minutes
- Remove from the oven & set aside
- Make the sauce…in a small saucepan.. over medium/low heat…add the butter & brown sugar…stir in until the butter melts…add the rum..it will bubble up.. mix, then slowly add the cream stirring so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan…Bring to a simmer but be careful not to burn it Remove from the heat & set aside
Keep the rice pudding & the sauce in the fridge.