i thought I was finished making hamantaschen this year.. after making over 200 … I thought I wrote down how many I made but didn’t!
I made Hamantaschen with some friends & this year we did it on zoom..we made some filled with apricot… some with a prune raisin filling…and some with poppyseed..I used the poppyseed filling recipe from Bon Appetit.. it was delicious.
i usually have my great nieces & nephews over to bake hamantaschen every year but… we did it this year over zoom!
I decided to make the chocolate chip ones from The Nosher. Mine did not look as beautiful as the ones they posted on line but they are delish! I will post some my not-so-nice pictures & then the good ones! There were suggestions for fillings so I tried dome Duece de Leche .. which did not work. it leaked out all over the place… I did not have any Nutella but I do have some large marshmallows & chocolate chips! I cut the marshmallows into pieces kind of the size of mini marshmallows… & added a few chocolate chips. The fist batch opened up & the marshmallow bubbled out.. which didn’t look good but are soooooo good to eat! What I didn’t do was chill the dough after the cookies were formed. The next batch I closed them up more & chilled the dough & they worked much better!
The recipe is from The Nosher.. here is the link to the recipe on that site
Here is the recipe .. I did not change the recipe at all
1/2 cup room temperature butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups + 2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
I used 2 pieces of cut up large marshmallow.. so use 2-3 mini marshmallows & about 4-5 chocolate chips…
If you use Nutella..the recipe suggests using 1/2 tsp only!
You will need 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper if you have 2 otherwise you can of course use one
Preheat oven to 400f once the cookies are formed & chilling in the fridge
- Cream the butter & sugars together in a mixer Scrape down the sides
- Add the egg & mix..again scraping the sides
- Now add the milk & vanilla…mix
- Add the flour, baking powder & salt… I added the chips here but you can add them after the dough is mixed & mix them in by hand … mix until the flour is completely combined
- Cover the bowl & let the dough chill in the fridge for at least and hour or even overnight if you want
- Preheat your oven when you star to form the cookies
- Have whatever filling you are going to use ready & your baking sheets beside your work area
- Divide the dough in half & roll it out to about 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured work surface. You might need to flour your rolling pin
- Use a 3 inch cookie cutter…or a glass… you want to cut the dough into circles
- When you have the circles cut out, put your desired filling into each one & fold up into a triangle. Pick the open edges closed…if you need to flour your finger tips …this will help seal the edges
- Place the cookies onto the prepared baking sheet .. I place all of them on one baking sheet which was easier to put into the fridge to chill.. then before baking you will divide them between 2 baking sheets to bake. If you have a connection oven you can bake both sheets at once but otherwise.. bake one at a time leaving the second baking sheet in the fridge to stay cold. This chillings important… when I chilled the dough it stayed together much better !
- Chill the formed cookies for a min of 15 minutes before baking
- Bake for approx 8`12 minutes until brown
- Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes them remove & put onto a cooling rack to to completely cool