This recipe is another one from Norene Gilletz.. from her cookbook Meal LeaniYUmm! It is a recipe for Passover but I will out substitutions that you can use during the year or if you do not celebrate Passover.
The recipe is really simple. It can be made using a food processor or just in a bowl!
This is served warm so when you take some out of the fridge, pop it into the microwave oven just to warm it up. Eat it with some sour cream, or yogurt… & some fruit. I like to take out some frozen berries, warm them up in the microwave and pour them over this delicious cheesecake.
NOTE: the recipes says to put the filling into the food processor, blend for 30 seconds. This makes the filling smooth.. I did not do that & of course the filling is whole bits of dry cottage cheese. I like dry cottage cheese so it is ok for me, but if you want a smoother filling use the food processor. Put all of the ingredients into the bowl, process for 30 seconds then pour over the base. Also, some of the topping is dry, not sure why… but it is still good
Here is the recipe. There are 3 parts to this. I will put non-Passover options in brackets
1/4 cup matzo meal ( or corn flake crumbs or graham wafer crumbs)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 cup cake meal ( you can use flour here )
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c plain yoghurt
4 cups dry cottage cheese
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 cup of milk
2 tbsp potato starch ( or use corn starch)
Preheat oven to 350f
Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray, set aside
- Topping: Mix the topping ingredients together & set aside
- Base: you can make the base 2 ways … you can use your food processor to combine the cake meal/flour, oil, sugar & cinnamon then add the yogurt and process with a few pulses until it is crumbly, or mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until combined
- Press then base ingredients into the prepared baking dish… set aside
- Filling: Beat the 4 eggs in a large bowl with a whisk until well combined. Add cottage cheese, sugar & salt. Mix well Dissolve the potato starch/corn starch in the milk. Add this to the cottage cheese mixture & mix well. SEE NOTE ABOVE ON HOW TO MAKE THE FILLING SMOOTHER IN THE FOOD PROCESSOR
- Pour the filling over the base in the baking dish
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the filling
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 60 minutes until the edges & bottom are brown..and top is firm
- Let cool a bit before cutting
Serve with yoghurt or sour cream & fruit!
I cut this into 16 pieces, will freeze well
you can see that some of the crumbs are dry! not sure why?