I saw a Strawberry Cake on a blog I follow & adapted it a bit….
The recipe I adapted is from MarthaStewart.com Strawberry cake
I like to try & make desserts non-dairy or parve if possible… so I adapted this recipe … only changing the milk to water & butter to vegan margarine. The cake was perfect! Moist & tender, so it is easy to make adaptions to most recipes…one just have to make sure to think it through & adjust ingredients sometimes… depending on the recipe, sometimes to replace milk with water more fat has to be added. In my posts I have always made note of this. For this recipe i did not add any additional fat… this cake is a simple white cake with strawberries on top.
We ate this yummy cake with some strawberry ice cream & cut up fresh strawberries & blackberries…
Here is the recipe
6 tbsp vegan margarine
1 cup sugar + 2 tbsp of sugar for the top of the cake
1 large egg
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 pound/454 grams of strawberry’s … a bit more than a pint
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease a pie plate & set aside
- Cream the margarine & 1 cup sugar together in a mixer until pale & fluffy, takes about 3 minutes, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula
- Lower the speed of the mixer & add teh egg, water & vanilla. Mix well again scraping down the sides of the bowl. After they is well mixed turn off the mixer for a minute
- Using a fork mix the flour, salt & baking powder together
- Turn the mixer on low & add the flour mixture gradually to the bowl… scrape sides often to make sure all of the ingredients are mixed in
- Put the batter into the prepared pie plate & set aside
- Wash, & pat eh strawberry dry
- Hull them & cut into half…or big ones into thirds…
- Arrange the cut strawberries cut side down on top of the cake batter as close as possible
- Sprinkle the 2 tbsp of sugar over the strawberries
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes then LOWER THE OVEN TEMPERATURE TO 325 & bake for about 1 hour until the cake is done..brown & firm to the touch
- Cool in the pan on a rack before eating!!
2 thoughts on “Strawberry Cake”
So nice, can it will make nice without egg,.
You could try The egg only binds it together Will still taste the same without the egg
You must log in to post a comment.