I posted this recipe in March 2017. I think I will add some raspberries to this salad…I am going to buy a bag of frozen raspberries & toss some into this salad. To make this a dinner salad, you can add some cooked chicken or fish to this! I think this is what we are having for dinner tonight!
I love adding quinoa to a salad that has a nice dark green, such as kale or spinach. If the salad is made with kale it lasts a bit longer in the fridge as left-overs because the kale does not get too soggy., though I personally like a soft piece of spinach with the quinoa…When I put this salad together I thought about the different textures and colours of the vegetables & am quite happy with the result. I changed my ‘go to’ salad dressing that I always use, which was given to me by my friend many years ago, just to adapt it to this type of salad.
Here its the recipe
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 large stalk of celery, diced
3/4 cup purple cabbage, diced
approximately 6 cups baby spinach ***I used 1/2 of an 11 oz container of baby spinach from Costco
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds ***I just put them into a dry frying pan and toast them while the quinoa is cooking
9 tbsp olive oil ***135 ml or just over 1/2 cup …. it is 0.56 cups I just measured the tbsps
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 – 1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 garlic clove minced
- Cook the quinoa as directed on the package, fluff & let cool
- I prepare my vegetables while the quinoa is cooking and cooling
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and adjust seasoning (salt and pepper) to your taste
- Once the quinoa is cool, put it into a large bowl and combine with the chopped vegetables, mix throughly then add the spinach then the pumpkin seeds. Toss together
- Pour the dressing on. I used all of the dressing but of course the amount of dressing is up to you!