Potluck at the office today so instead of the regular Asian Cole Slaw that I have posted here before I decided to make a similar but different salad. This salad is easy easy easy & also really good!!!
I find that these types of salads..coleslaws.. are very popular, best a day after they are made so that it is a good make-ahead salad & you can make this larger to easily crowd feed a crowd .. this recipe is for 2 bags of cole slaw mix which makes a big quantity of salad. You can cut the amount of dressing you make in half for only 1 bag of coleslaw mix or just have this salad in the fridge for a few days which is always good. You can add some cooked chicken to it & have a really great ‘meal’ salad
The recipe is from the cookbook Kosher by Design by Susie Fishbein called crunchy cole slaw page 77 if you have the book!
I made this pretty much as it is written except that I reduced the amount of sugar in the dressing & did not add the green onions…
Here is the recipe
1 pkg of Ramen noodle soup…discard the seasoning mix
2 bags of pre-cut cole slaw mix
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup light flavoured oil…I used grapeseed oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar…this amt is reduced from the original recipe!
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- Break up the ramen noodles into small bits
- In a skillet… warm some oil…you do not need too much… the recipe called for 1/2 cup but I think that is too much so start with maybe 1/4 cup….
- Add the broken up Ramen noodles & brown the noodles… stir them & watch them ..don’t walk away because they brown quickly once they start… when brown remove from the heat
- Use a really large bowl to mix the salad in because the cole slaw takes up a lot of room before it gets soft from the dressing…or…. sometimes if I am only making only 1 bag of cole slaw mix I actually put it all in a ziploc bag, seal it & mix it up in the bag..it mixes up really nicely, store it that way in the fridge…then I put it into a serving bowl when ready to eat!
- Anyway… put the coleslaw mix & the seeds & nuts into the bowl & toss
- Make the dressing…. it was too much dressing for the small jar I was using so I had to pour it out into a bowl & I used a whisk to combine the ingredients…
- Pour the salad dressing over the coleslaw & toss
- Add the browned ramen noodles & toss everything together…
- Serve right away if you like your coleslaw crunchy or make ahead if you like your coleslaw softer!