I like to leave the avocado as chunky as possible for this avocado & tomato salad..if you mash it up then it is like guacamole…
I bought a bag of avocados at Costco which is a mistake sometimes because of course they ripen all at the same time so we had to eat them up!
I don’t really have a ‘recipe’ with exact ingredient amounts because this can be made anyway you think you will like it…just a combination of delicious fresh ingredients mixed together…. you can add more tomatoes if you prefer them to the avocado…or more avocado then tomatoes… it is really to you…
I diced the avocado, tomatoes, onions & added some lemon juice, Murray prefers lime juice but I didn’t have a lime so I used a lemon… & cilantro, but if you don’t like cilantro just leave it out.
You can eat this on a bed of lettuce, on its own as a side salad, with chips, on a burger…just out of the bowl with a spoon! oh..on toast…. I guess it is pretty versatile so you can eat it anyway you like!
Here is the recipe
4 avocados… or as many as you have…
1/4 of a red onion
tomatoes…. I used 5 small vine tomatoes...use enough tomatoes to give them a presence in among the avocados.
salt & pepper
juice of 1/2 a lime or lemon if you do not have a lime
chopped cilantro if using
- Coarsely chop the avocados & put it into a bowl
- Thinly slice the onion & then dice the slices, add to the avocado
- Next, cut the tomatoes in half & scoop the seeds out, if you leave them in then the dish will be watery. And now chop the tomatoes into coarse pieces & add them to the avocado & onion.
- Season with salt & pepper
- Add the lemon juice
- If you want to add cilantro, take the leaves off the stems & finely chop the leaves, add to the avocado…
- Mix gently so that the avocado remains in pieces.
- Serve as a side salad …. or eat it a variety of different ways!