The other day Murray said he wanted cake, and oddly I did not have any…none on the counter & none in the freezer…so it was time to make a cake!
And…he likes rum so I have adapted a cake recipe of my mom’s & have made a Pineapple Rum Loaf cake. I did not want a large bundt cake, too much sometimes for just the 2 of us so a loaf cake is just the right size. I also wanted this cake to be non-dairy…so that was an easy adaptation to make & I used a rum glaze from another recipe of my mom’s…
This recipe was super easy to pull together..the only thing you might now have in your cupboard is a can of crushed pineapple, but it is really easy to get!
The cake is ‘rustic’ not a light textured rum cake that you might be used to, but it is delicious so give it a try!
Here is the recipe
For the cake
1/4 cup parve margarine …I use Becel Vegan margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained ( save the juice from the can)
1/3 cup pineapple juice from the can of pineapple
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
For the glaze NOTE…. THIS MADE LOTS OF GLAZE & THE CAKE IS SWEET SO IF YOU WANT A LESS SWEET CAKE, MAKE HALF THE GLAZE…
1/2 cup icing sugar..if it is lumpy sift it into a bowl
4 tbsp of the reserved pineapple juice
4 tbsp rum
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease a loaf pan…I use non-stick spray
*** drain the can of pineapple saving the liquid ***
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream the margarine & sugar until well combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl
- Add the egg & mix well
- Add the pineapple, mix to combine
- Add the pineapple juice & mix….
- Add the flour & baking soda….mix well & make sure all of the ingredients are well combined
- Put the batter into the prepared loaf pan
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until a cake tester comes out dry
- Mix the glaze ingredients together & have it ready for when the cake comes out of the oven
- While the cake is hot, poke holes in the top & put the glaze over the top. NOTE: USE LESS GLAZE FOR A LESS SWEET CAKE….i found it a bit sweet for me so I would use less glaze the next time
- Let the cake cool before removing from the baking dish