I found this recipe on Bon Appetit. It looked very interesting… shortbread, chocolate chunks, rolled in sugar & sprinkled with flakey sea salt… what would be wrong with this?Not one thing!!!
The recipe is pretty simple. Once the cookie dough is made it is rolled into logs & cooled in the fridge for a bit. Then the logs are rolled in sugar…then sprinkled with flaky sea salt before baking. And there you go…delicious cookies.
These were not my fav cookies, but my son really liked them. And my cookies do not look like the one in the picture that is on the Bon Appetit but that’s ok! They were getting eaten up anyway, then I popped the rest in the freezer. (I have turned into my mom…freezing almost everything. With just Murray & I in the house, we can not possibly eat everything I bake, so best to put it in the freezer!!)
I have not changed the recipe at all, I went to the grocery store to get the right kind of sugar & flaky sea salt…the sugar I will use…& if you need some flakey sea salt..I have a box so come borrow some!! HAHA
Here is the recipe for Salted Butter Chocolate Shortbread Recipe Bon Appetit
1 cup plus 2 tbsp salted butter, cut into chunks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar ( light)
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
6 oz of semi-sweet or bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped into chunks *** I used semi-sweet chocolate chunks & I did not chop them
1 egg, beaten
Demerara sugar..for rolling the cookies in
Flaky sea salt…for sprinkiing on top of the cookies *** I am sure you can use kosher salt here but know that it is coarser & which makes it seem saltier then the flaky sea salt…so use it sparingly
Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper….you will preheat the oven when the cookie dough is chilling in the fridge
- In a mixer, beat the butter, sugar, brown sugar & vanilla on medium speed until it is very light & fluffy….about 3-5 minutes
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Put the mixer on low-speed & slowly add the flour, beat until blended
- Add the chocolate chunks & mix them in
- Divide the dough in half, put each half on a separate sheet of plastic wrap. Using the plastic wrap, form the cookie dough into logs by rolling it on the counter. Each log should be about 2 – 2 1/4″ in diameter. Put the logs into the fridge & chill until they are firm, about 2 hours
- Preheat the oven to 350f while the dough is chilling
- Brush the outside of the logs with the beaten egg
- Roll the logs in the Demerara sugar …*** this is really messy!
- Slice into 1/2″ rounds..arrange on the baking sheets about 1 ” apart…they should not spread too much but mine spread more than I thought they would…& I somehow got sugar all over the tops of the cookies…ha
- Sprinkle with the flaky sea salt….
- Bake for 12 -15 minutes in the preheated oven
- Cool on a wire rack before eating!