Simple, lemony & delicious.This cake is different from other cakes…it is very thin… not a big double layer or even a regular single layer cake. The finished cake is about 1 inch high. I thought maybe I had done something wrong with it, but it is tender & moist, so I assume this is how this cake is meant to be!
the recipe is from The Nosher…. I like the recipes from this site..
The picture of the cake they have posted maybe looks a bit taller than mine, but not by much. There are beaten egg whites in this recipe…maybe mine deflated a bit…but I am not unhappy with this cake. The recipe also call for turbinado sugar to be sprinkled onto of the cake..this is ok but it is crunchy, so if you do not think that you would like a sugar crunchy top… use brown sugar..or leave it plain & dust some icing sugar on top of the cake when it is cooked & on a serving plate…
Here is the recipe from The Nosher.. theme of it is Lemon Olive Oil Cake if you want to look at the recipe there.
3 eggs separated… you will use the whites first so set the yolks aside for a bit,,, you will only use 2 yolks
3/4 cup sugar, divided into 1/4 cup & 1/2 cup
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar ( which I did not have…)
1 lemon…grate the peel of the lemon & set aside, then juice the lemon
3/4 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp Turbinado oar Demerara sugar to sprinkle on the top of the cake
- I like to beat my egg whites first..before mixing the batter since I only have 1 bowl for my mixer…& I do not want to have to wash & dry the bowl after mixing the batter before beating the egg whites…so…..
- Put the 3 egg whites into the bowl of your mixer & attach the whisk attachment
- Beat the egg whites, salt & cream of tartar until foamy & then gradually add the 1/4 cup of sugar…
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks are formed
- Now, very gently…. put those beaten whites into a large bowl & set aside… we want to make the batter quickly now so the whites stay airy!
- You can use the same bowl & whisk attachment to make the batter.
- In the bowl of the mixer, beat 2 egg yolks, 1/2 cup of sugar, the lemon zest & 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice…
- Add the cake flour & baking powder, mix to combine
- With the mixer on, gradually all the olive oil in a slow stream. Mix well
- Now you are going to add your beaten egg whites to the batter you just made
- Take about 1/4 of the egg whites & add them to the batter…stir to mix together
- Fold the rest of the beaten whites into the batter, gently….to fold egg whites into a batter, take a spatula & cut through the middle of the batter & folding up the bottom of the batter over the top…continue doing this with a light hand until the 2 are combined…but you want to be careful not to deflate the whites
- Gently put the batter into the prepared pan
- Tap the pan a few times on the counter to remove any air bubbles in the batter
- Sprinkle either sugar over the top of the batter if using
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes
- Remove from the oven with a cake tester comes out dry
- Let cool on a wire rack completely…about an hour…before removing from the pan