I love coconut. In chocolate bars, in cakes, cupcakes, granola bars…etc etc If there is coconut in it..I will not turn away! So, when I saw the recipe for these cookies…coconut cookies…not oatmeal with coconut… just coconut I could not resist!
The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen..coconut brown butter cookies. the picture was so good…the cookies look delish… & I was not disappointed when I made them!
I did not use the brown butter…it has to cool & I just did not want to wait…so I just used regular butter.
My cookies came out exactly as I thought they would…crunchy with a chewy centre… so wonderful…I have to pack them away & stop eating them…
Here is the recipe
1 cup unsalted butter, softened ***my butter was cold so I grated it into the mixing bowl to soften it up…so don’t not make these cos your butter is cold!
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup flour *** the original recipe calls for 1 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp of flour..BUT..I forgot to add the 3 tbsp of flour…ha & they are fine…so, what should you do? maybe use 1 1/4 cup +3 tbsp …. I trust Deb at smitten kitchen…i am not sure why my cookies turned out so good without the extra flour…maybe they are more chewy?
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp table salt
4 cups of unsweetened coconut *** I used unadulterated coconut
Preheat the oven to 350f Line baking sheets with parchment of use a silicone liner
- Mix the butter, both sugars in the bowl of a mixer & mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed
- Add the egg & beat well, again…scrape down sides of bowl as needed
- Whisk the flour, baking soda & salt together
- Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl & mix well
- Add the coconut… mix to combine…scrape the sides of the bowl as need to make sure that all of the ingredients are well combined
- Using a 1 tbsp cookie scoop, or if you want bigger cookies, use a 2 tbsp scoop…& put onto the prepared cookie sheets If you want really big cookies use a 2 inch scoop… I used a 1 tbsp scoop….. You need to leave room between the scoops of cookie dough because these cookies spread… if you use the bigger scoops….leave more room between the scoops
- Flatten the dough slightly with your fingers or the back of a spoon
- Bake the cookies…. if you used a 1 tbsp scoop bake for 10 -11 minutes, for a 2 tbsp scoop bake for 12-14 minutes, for the 2 inch scoop bake for 14 – 16 minutes
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes until they firm up a bit ..then move to a cooking rack to cool completely
- Try not to eat all of them at once..:))) I made about I made about 5 doz cookies….