This sweet noodle kugel with apples & raisins ( you can omit the raisins if you don’t like them!) is a family recipe of my friend Pnina. I am so honoured that she shared this recipe with me. Perfect for this time of year when there is an abundance of apples….but don’t limit yourself to just eating it now…it is perfect for anytime!
With the Jewish New Year approaching, we eat apples, apples & honey, pomegranates, honey cake, sweet foods…. hoping for a sweet year ahead.
This noodle kugel recipe is perfect to eat for Rosh Hashanah. It is sweet, the apples & raisins mixed with cinnamon combine to make this really delicious.
I served this kugel for dinner last night & the consensus was that this recipe is a keeper..no wonder it became a family favourite of Pnina’s family.
Here is the recipe, with thanks to Pnina for allowing me to share it on this blog!
Shopping list other then staples you would have at home
1 400g pkg of egg noodles
1 pkg egg noodles ( 400 g)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 tbsp honey
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup raisins
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp cinnamon
Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish *** OPTIONAL: I like to pour in about 3 tbsp of oil into the baking dish… smear it all around the baking dish…& then PREHEAT the oven to 350f…put the oiled baking dish into the oven when it is preheating,…..take the baking dish out of the oven when the oil gets hot…then I put the noodles into the hot baking dish. You dont have to do this step… you can just put the noodle mixture right into a greased baking dish without warming it up first…
- Boil the noodles until soft, drain & set aside
- While the noodles are cooking, Mix the brown sugar, oil & honey together in a bowl & set aside
- Peel & grate the apples, set aside
- Once the noodles are cooked, put them into a large bowl
- Add the grated apples
- Add the brown sugar, oil & honey
- Add the beaten eggs
- Add the raisins
- Mix well
- Sprinkle the flour & cinnamon over the noodle mixture & mix well
- Pour the noodle mixture into the prepared baking dish
- Bake for about 1 hour until brown… if you like it more brown, Pnina says to lower the oven & keep the kugel in until it has a nice dark colour with burning it…so you will have to watch it closly! I baked it for 1 hour, lowered the oven to 300f & kept it in for approximatley 30 moire minutes..but sorry… I lost track of the time it was in the lower temperature..
- Cut into squares to serve…
You can make this ahead, cool completely, cut into squares, then freeze until you want to serve it… Cover with foil to reheat…