Funny thing about this recipe…It is called Cauliflower “mac & cheese” casserole. The person who was eating it couldn’t find any pasta….& was wondering where it was! But there is no pasta in this recipe. The cauliflower is chopped up into bite size pieces & is used instead of pasta
The recipe is from epicurious.com. This was very cheesy & delicious. Cauliflower ‘Mac “N” Cheese’ casserole
I did not use the cauliflower rice that is available now in the grocery stores because this needs the cauliflower to be chopped up so it kind of resembles macaroni!
Here is the recipe
8 cups of cauliflower, chopped into coarse pieces
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk *** I used 1%
6 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/4 cups mozzarella, shredded
1 1/4 cups cheddar, shredded *** recipe says to use sharp cheddar
1 tbsp chives, chopped ***this is optional
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease a square baking dish *** I used non-stick spray
- Toss the cauliflower with 1/4 tsp salt & microwave on high for 10 minutes. *** Put the cauliflower in a microwave sage bowl, cover with plastic wrap…cut a few slits in the plastic wrap to vent it… uncover carefully when done
- Let the cauliflower cool , then put it in a large bowl
- While the cauliflower is cooling continue with the rest of the recipe
- In a medium size saucepan, cook the milk, cream cheese, curry powder, mustard & 1 tsp salt over medium heat, stirring constantly until it becomes smooth. Be careful not to burn it… that is why you have to stir it so that the milk doesn’t burn on the bottom. Remove from the heat & let this cool for about 30 minutes *** I did not wait the whole 30 minutes….
- Add this to the cauliflower & mix to combine
- Add the mozzarella & 1 cup of the cheddar , reserving the rest to put on top.
- Mix well
- Put this mixture into the prepared baking dish
- Cover the baking dish with foil & bake about 45 minutes until hot & bubbly
- Remove the foil & sprinkle the remaining cheese on top,
- Place the baking dish under the broiler & broil until the top is brown. Watch this closely
- Top with chives if you want!