How delicious would you think that Rice Chex cereal coated with a melty mixture of bittersweet chocolate, peanut butter & butter is?? Then the it is sprinkled several times with icing sugar?? Well, let me tell you, it is delicious!! If you are staying away from sugar this recipe is not for you!! IF you pop a few of these little morsels in your mouth at one time, the sugar gets all mixed up with the chocolate & it works.
I had company ( a bridal shower) where there were 29 ladies..I put a bowl of this on the table, thinking that people might not want to eat it… boy was I wrong! They loved it! I sent the left-overs with my niece to her work…she is a nurse & I am sure those hard-working nurses might like this delicious treat. The recipe I made is from Bon Appetite. I found several online but decided to make this one. It made a lot of puppy chow! I added the pretzels & M&M’s to the mix as the recipe suggested.
Here is the link to the recipe on the Bon Appetite website
Puppy Chow from Bon Appetite
1 box of Rice Chex Cereal
1 1/2 cups of bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups icing sugar *** this is used 1/2 cup at a time but I just had it measured out in a bowl
2 cups M&M’s
2 cups roasted peanuts
2 cups pretzel sticks
Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Put the cereal in a really large bowl
- Melt the chocolate, peanut butter, butter & salt together in a double boiler…or a pot sitting in another pot over simmering water, making sure the bottom of the top pot doesn’t touch the water… Stir well until all melted together & smooth
- Pout the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal & mix well until all of the Rice Chex are coated with the chocolate..be patient..takes a bit of effort!
- The recipe says to transfer the coated cereal to a clean bowl & sift 1/2 cup of icing sugar over the cereal, then toss to mix…***I used a spatula to do this I was not too good at tossing it!! Repeat this 2 more times so that you have put 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar onto the chocolate coated cereal
- Put the cereal onto 2 lined cookie sheet & spread evenly,
- Sift 1/2 cup of icing sugar over both tray…do not mix
- Chill for 2 hours in the fridge or let sit at room temperature overnight *** I put it in the fridge
- After cooling, put this into a bowl, mix it, add the M&M’s, pretzels, & peanuts & the remaining 1/2 cup icing sugar. Mix to coat everything.
- I stored this in a ziplock bag until ready to serve